|Animal Defenders of Westchester||
We advocate on all animal protection and exploitation issues, including experimentation, factory farming, rodeos, breeders and traveling animal acts.
Animal Defenders of Westchester
Action Alerts Cruelty investigators sought: Westchester SPCA
Cruelty investigators sought: Westchester SPCA
SPCA OF WESTCHESTER HUMANE LAW ENFORCEMENT DIVISION
The SPCA of Westchester County is now recruiting investigators and peace officers for its humane law enforcement division. Our geographical area of operation includes all of Westchester County. If you have watched Animal Precinct you have some idea of what humane law enforcement involves.
We are CURRENTLY RECRUITING VOLUNTEERS FOR CIVILIAN INVESTIGATOR positions.
A class will be given in late June. Those who do well as investigators may qualify for peace officer training as the need for more peace officers arises. Investigator position will be part-time volunteer in return for training and education. Peace officer positions will be part-time paid, and further training will be available.
* Must be a resident of Westchester or Putnam counties
* 21 years of age and a United States citizen
* Valid NYS driver's license
* No felony or misdemeanor convictions
* 3 years experience in law, law enforcement, emergency medicine or animal care or a combination thereof.
* High school diploma or equivalent
* Excellent oral and written communication skills
Animal cruelty can best be described as "crimes against animals." New York State law defines an animal as "every living creature except a human being."
Cruelty is defined as "every act, omission, or neglect whereby unjustifiable physical pain, suffering or death is caused or permitted." For example, depriving animals of necessary food, water and shelter of veterinary care; fighting animals, poisoning or abandoning animals, malicious and intentional maiming and confinement in unsanitary conditions.
Some functions of HLE investigators and peace officers:
* Investigate complaints of animal cruelty
* Issue Notices to Comply
* Work with local law enforcement to investigate animal fighting
* Issue summonses for violations and misdemeanors*
* Make arrests for felonies and misdemeanors as necessary*
* Work with the Westchester County DA to successfully prosecute these cases
* Investigate cases as may be requested by the DA or other law enforcement agencies
* Seize animals in jeopardy in accordance with the NYS Agriculture and Markets Law*
* Inspect and monitor traveling animal acts, rodeos, science fairs, other events featuring animals as requested
*Peace Officers only.
CALL 914-941-2894x12 OR EMAIL LAWSPCAW@OPTONLINE.NET to receive an application.
WE DO WHAT WE DO BECAUSE ANIMALS CAN'T DIAL 911!
Fair Use Notice: This document may contain copyrighted material whose use has not been specifically authorized by the copyright owners. We believe that this not-for-profit, educational use on the Web constitutes a fair use of the copyrighted material (as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law). If you wish to use this copyrighted material for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
Your comments and
inquiries are welcome
This site is hosted and maintained by:
The Mary T. and Frank L. Hoffman Family Foundation
Thank you for visiting all-creatures.org.