You Can Help: Don't Let Them Shoot McNeil River Bears
Moo-ving people toward compassionate living
Join the compassion parade to help stop cruelty to our fellow beings.
Your letters and calls do help!
You Can Help: Don't Let Them Shoot McNeil River Bears
Are you outraged at the thought of trophy hunters killing wild bears who have been taught to trust humans? These wild bears allow people to watch them nurse their cubs while standing 20 feet away.
The world famous McNeil River bears are in grave danger. Without your help, and thousands like you, they will be shot by trophy hunters this October. Grizzly bear hunters take only the head and hide. The meat is left in the field.
We're asking for help. It takes just a few minutes of your time:
1) Please watch our 4 minute video, "Don't Let Them Shoot McNeil River Bears." You'll see bears who have no fear of humans, people who safely watch them, learn why these bears will be shot and what you can do to stop it. This is important! We need thousands of people to see the video to draw further media attention. If you have time for nothing else, please spend 4 minutes to watch this video. (Double click on the play button in center of video window to begin.)
2) Forward this message to everyone you know, even hunters, as ethical hunters don't hunt bears that have no fear of humans.
3) Write a Letter to the Editor to your local newspaper. Simply copy the above Action Alert, including title. Adjust if necessary.
4) If you want to help more, send a Letter to the Editor to every newspaper in your state.
5) If you have a web site, please consider adding a "Don't Let Them Shoot McNeil River Bears" link to the video. The URL to access this video on YouTube is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h54hbNXEG0, from there you can copy the embedded link and paste it to your site.
6) Send a copy of this Action Alert to your governor and legislators. This is a national outrage, and they are in the position to do something about it.
7) Do not hesitate to send this to friends and contacts overseas. The McNeil River bears are a national treasure and people travel from all over the world to see them.
In 1995, we thought we had won the battle to protect these bears. Back then, bear hunters entered a lottery to win a chance to shoot a McNeil River bear.
But Leo & I, who were leaders of a group called Friends of McNeil River, led a drive to thwart the hunt. We encouraged thousands of people to apply for a bear hunting permit and stay home if their names were drawn. It worked. Six of the eight permits awarded went to people who had applied for a permit to save a bear's life.
Now the power of the Internet and YouTube technology gives us a great advantage. Please watch the video, spread the word, and save the life of a McNeil River bear.
On behalf of the bears, thank you!
Dorothy & Leo Keeler
For more information about bears, please visit: www.bearkinship.org.
For more information about effective activism, please visit our Activist Section.
UPDATE - Spring, 2007
Thank You All! It Worked!
McNeil River Bears are now safer.
Thank you for caring! You prevented trophy hunters from killing trusting wild bears. During the March, 2007, Board of Game meeting in Alaska, the board voted to reverse it's earlier decision to allow a hunt of the McNeil River and Katmai bears on land adjacent to the sanctuary!
If you haven't already done so, please take a few minutes to watch our "Don't Let Them Shoot McNeil River Bears" video posted on YouTube. The bears of McNeil River, and the nearby Katmai National Park, depended on you, and over 600 people wrote individual, handwritten letters to the Board of Game members in support of the bears! That is phenomenal! It is widely accepted that one individually written letter is worth at least 100 signatures on a petition, so that is equal to at least 60,000 petition signatures!
We needed your help. Even though many of you don't live in Alaska, or the United States, these are world famous bears and you had a right to speak up for them. AND YOU DID! We received letters of support from all over the globe.
We can't thank you enough!
For more information, see:
The calf photo on these pages is from Farm Sanctuary with our thanks.
We welcome your comments:
Fair Use Notice: This document may contain copyrighted material whose use has not been specifically authorized by the copyright owners. We believe that this not-for-profit, educational use on the Web constitutes a fair use of the copyrighted material (as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law). If you wish to use this copyrighted material for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
All Creatures Action Alerts: justice, peace, love, compassion, ethics,
organizations, Bible, God, Lord, Jesus, Christ, Holy Spirit, grass roots, animals, cruelty
free, lifestyle, hunting, fishing, traping, farm, farming, factory, fur, meat, slaughter, cattle, beef, pork, chicken, poultry, hens, battery, debeaking. Thee is also a similarity to the human aspects of prolife, pro life, pro-life, abortion, capital punishment, and war.
| Home Page | Animal Issues | Archive | Art and Photos | Articles | Bible | Books | Church and Religion | Discussions | Health | Humor | Letters | Links | Nature Studies | Poetry and Stories | Quotations | Recipes | What's New? |
Thank you for visiting all-creatures.org.