Moo-ving people toward compassionate living
Your letters and calls do help!
Originally Posted: 30 July 2009
Protest the Slaughter of Rehabbed Canadian Geese
From Animals In Print
Tell the three responsible parties below to listen to animal protectionists about humane solutions rather than rounding up and slaughtering Canadian geese. Many of the geese they recently slaughtered had been injured and rehabilitated by activists. These people ignored all suggestions for humane solutions.
Andrew Reid, President of Park Rec
Hilda Davenport, President of Traces & Reflections (condos)
Catherine Ellis, Property Manager
The 3 people listed above were responsible for over 75 Canada geese being rounded up, packed in hot trucks and taken to slaughter from the Park at Rivers Edge last Thursday. Twenty of them being MY geese I rehabbed with injuries etc...and many were domesticated. One sweet lady named Debbie Dangerfield made it there in time to get on one of the trucks and refuse to get down until they released our geese. They gave her only PollyAnna, a goose raised from a wee baby who loved her. The rest were slaughtered.
Debbi now has one lone goose over there who cannot understand where the rest have gone.
Geese mate for life. Babies were taken with the rest, many separated from their parents and hauled in hot trucks to Columbia where the USDA killed them all.
Many of the rehabbed geese were named and came when called. They were not ever caged.
I had supplied them with a list of Canada geese rescue groups, Canada geese rehabbers and also Dorchester Vet Clinic's number to contact Roxi for advice. They claimed they were destroying the grasses etc. Carolina Waterfowl in Charlotte, NC was also willing to help move them.
NONE of these agencies were called nor was I notified that the geese were going to be killed. I'm swamped with wildlife right now so if anyone has any ideas of preventing this from happening or can forward this to others who can make a difference please do and/or contact Debbie. The public deserves to know what can happen to our wildlife as well as how heartless some people can be.
Rhonda who helps me with the geese set down with me last night at the HOA's meeting where we were not allow in... so we could recall the geese that were rehabbed and placed at the Park...and were slaughtered. This kills me...there were more than I first thought. I spoke with the Post & Courier today and they cannot get the management at The Park @ Rivers Edge to talk to them. The three responsible will not return calls, emails or have any contact with us or any of the media. This tells me they have something to hide.
Some Of The Geese That were Murdered After Being In Our Rehab
- Nibbles - crashed into a building and damaged his wing beyond 100% repair
- Angel - born with angel wings and could not fly
- Wingo - unknown accident that resulted in amputation of part of one wing
- Noli - did not relate to any geese or humans. Very stand offish and liked to be alone
- Nipper - raised from day one by our surrogate duck mother in rehab then taken back to The Park where he was born.
- Picky - same clutch as Nipper and raised at rehab sanctuary by Hoobert the surrogate mother duck.
- Schultz - leg deformity caused him to *goose step* rather than walk normally
- Joe - mental acting and a loner that was human friendly
- VeeVee - foot incident/injury -from The Park
- BamBam & Squeakers -bonded pair that stayed with Joe and VeeVee
- BW - Broken Wing -from The Park
- Limpy - upper leg injury-from The Park
- Casper & Cassie - unknown background, orphans but were human friendly
- Lex & Lucy - no known health problems, returned the last 5 years to raise their young....their injured chicks were raised by Hoobert the surrogate duck mother at the rehab sanctuary and were returned to The Park
- Freakers - Cassies' baby from last season. Mental when Casper rejected him when Cassie laid eggs this time...stayed close to other rehabs geese.
Curly & Larry & Mo - raised by Hoobert the surrogate mother duck and returned to The Park For unknown reasons they were abandoned.
- Romey - PollyAnna's mate for life, now she's left all alone and Romey has been slaughtered. He was perfect. PollyAnna was rehabbed and surgery was done by Dr. McKinnon at Dorchester Vet. He and his wife Roxie are both wildlife rehabbers. She was taken to The Park where she bonded with Debbie and Tommy. Debbie and Tommy watched over her and gave her a good life...which she did find....by becoming a mate to a wild goose we called Romey. She outgrew her dependence on humans...but when the USDA moved in and took her mate away....she went into a state of shock and has been in a close rehab situation again. (with Debbie and Tommy who she is most comfortable with).
This cannot be allow to ever happen again.
Thank you for everything you do for animals!
Return to Action Alerts
Please Help Our Efforts
We welcome your comments:
Fair Use Notice: This document may contain copyrighted material whose use has not been specifically authorized by the copyright owners. We believe that this not-for-profit, educational use on the Web constitutes a fair use of the copyrighted material (as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law). If you wish to use this copyrighted material for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
All Creatures Action Alerts: justice, peace, love, compassion, ethics, organizations, Bible, God, Lord, Jesus, Christ, Holy Spirit, grass roots, animals, cruelty free, lifestyle, hunting, fishing, trapping, farm, farming, factory, fur, meat, slaughter, cattle, beef, pork, chicken, poultry, hens, battery, debeaking. Thee is also a similarity to the human aspects of prolife, pro life, pro-life, abortion, capital punishment, and war.
| Home Page | Animal Issues | Archive | Art and Photos | Articles | Bible | Books | Church and Religion | Discussions | Health | Humor | Letters | Links | Nature Studies | Poetry and Stories | Quotations | Recipes | What's New? |
Thank you for visiting all-creatures.org.