Moo-ving people toward compassionate living
Your letters and calls do help!
Originally Posted: 5 August 2009
Target - Huntingdon Life Sciences' Top Customers AstraZeneca and GlaxoSmithKline
From Kinship Circle
Tell AstraZeneca and GlaxoSmithKline to end their business relationship with Huntingdon Life Sciences (HLS) AND to meet testing criterion with non-animal methods that yield data more relevant to human health and safety.
To receive a formatted letter (word doc), email Kinship Circle to copy/paste into an email or print letter to fax or mail.
Seven investigations have exposed such abuse as HLS techs who push naso-gastric tubes into dogs' lungs, drowning them in toxic materials. A tech punches a screaming 4-month-old beagle in the face. During a supposedly post-mortem dissection, a worker slices into the chest of a convulsing monkey... Animals seen dangling from slings or cowering in cages are left to seize, vomit and collapse with no vet care.
SCIENCE? "The best guess for the correlation of adverse reactions in man and animal toxicity data is somewhere between 5% and 25%" Animal Toxicity Studies: Their Relevance to Man, Lumley & Walker (eds) (Quay, 1989), 57-67.
FULL CONTACT INFORMATION
- David Brennan, Chief Executive Officer: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Simon Lowth, Chief Financial Officer: email@example.com
- Tony Zook, Executive Vice President North America: tony.zook@AstraZeneca.com
- Bruno Angelici, Executive Vice President, Europe and ROW: bruno.angelici@AstraZeneca.com
- David Smith, Executive Vice-President, Operations: david.smith@AstraZeneca.com
- Jan Lundberg, Executive Vice-President Discovery Research: jan.lundberg@AstraZeneca.com
- Lynn Tetrault, Executive Vice-President Human Resources: lynn.tetrault@AstraZeneca.com
- Senior Non-Executive Director: peter.bonfield@AstraZeneca.com
ASTRAZENECA WORLDWIDE LOCATIONS-ADDRESSES
AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals LP (U.S. Headquarters)
P.O. Box 15437; Wilmington, DE 19850-5437
ph: +1 302 886 3000, +1 302 886 2972
- Andrew Witty, CEO, Board of Directors: Andrew.Witty@gsk.com
- Julian Heslop, Chief Financial Officer, Board of Directors: Julian.Heslop@gsk.com
- Moncef Slaoui, Chairman of Research & Development, Board of Directors: Moncef.Slaoui@gsk.com
- David Pulman, President of Global Manufacturing and Supply: David.Pulman@gsk.com
- Marc Dunoyer, President of Asia Pacific/Japan: Marc.Dunoyer@gsk.com
- President of North American Pharmaceuticals, Board of Directors: Chris.Viehbacher@gsk.com
- John Clarke, President of Consumer Healthcare: John.Clarke@gsk.com
- Simon Bicknell, SVP, Company Secretary & Compliance Officer: Simon.M.Bicknell@gsk.com
- Dan Phelan, Chief of Staff: Daniel.Phelan@gsk.com
- Claire Thomas, SVP, Human Resources: Claire.x.Thomas@gsk.com
GSK WORLDWIDE LOCATIONS/ADDRESSES:
GlaxoSmithKline U.S. Corporate Headquarters
5 Moore Drive; Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
US corporate switchboard: +1 888-825-5249
US Customer Response Center: +1 888-825-5249
Glaxo Wellcome UK Ltd.
Stockley Park West, Uxbridge; Middlesex, UB11 1BT
ph: 020 8990 9000, 0800 221441
fax: 020 8990 4321, 020 8990 4328
- TO SEND BLOCK EMAILS: COPY/PASTE EMAIL BLOCKS INTO BCC: LINE OF YOUR EMAIL
- TYPE YOUR OWN EMAIL ADDRESS IN THE TO: LINE
- COPY/PASTE SAMPLE LETTER INTO SAME EMAIL.
- Change some words, sign with your name/full address and send!
Andrew.Witty@gsk.com, Julian.Heslop@gsk.com, Moncef.Slaoui@gsk.com,
David.Pulman@gsk.com, Marc.Dunoyer@gsk.com, Chris.Viehbacher@gsk.com,
John.Clarke@gsk.com, Simon.M.Bicknell@gsk.com, Daniel.Phelan@gsk.com,
Kinship Circle cannot guarantee validity of email addresses. During campaigns, recipients may change or disable their email addresses. Emails from government, corporate, or institute websites may be incorrect.
SAMPLE LETTER. This letter is prepared to inform you about the issue. WRITE YOUR OWN LETTER using these talking points.
I am concerned about the welfare of animals used in the development of your products. I understand that both AstraZeneca and GlaxoSmithKline severed ties with Huntingdon Life Sciences (HLS) after an investigation exposed routine animal abuse inside the research facility.
Your good faith in Huntingdon's promise to "clean up its act" led you to renew your contract. Sadly, abuse remains the norm at HLS. As recently as 2008, a published report about primate trafficking across South America and Asia described wild-caught monkeys squashed in cages for 30-hour treks to Huntingdon Life Sciences in Cambridgeshire.
Inside the primate unit, an undercover worker recorded animals in filthy cages who "went crazy," gnawing fingers and toes to the bone. One primate was tube fed after self-inflicted wounds left her face in shreds. The investigator counted 217 monkeys killed in just five studies for customers such as GlaxoSmithKline and AstraZeneca.
I respectfully ask you to re-join the global list of customers, suppliers and financiers who dropped HLS after learning about the lab's habitual abuse, falsification of test data, sloppy protocol, and employee misconduct.
Evidence from seven investigations over 12 years has exposed Huntingdon for multiple breaches of the U.S. Animal Welfare Act, the arrest of workers on animal cruelty charges, more than 520 infringements of Good Laboratory Practice in England, and a $50,000 payoff to the U.S. Agriculture Department for misstated records and animal welfare violations.
In 2005, two former HLS workers testified that animals were insufficiently anesthetized before invasive procedures, such as extraction of bone marrow from the chest bone. Workers transferred blood into the wrong tubes. One "would go in and out about five times with the same needle, not hitting the vein," the past employee maintained. "I saw co-workers grab [dogs] by the scruff, shout and swear at them, swing them by the scruff and slap them."
Many labs now meet testing criterion with non-animal methods that yield data more relevant to human health and safety. HLS, on the other hand, abuses animals for invalid and redundant experiments.
I urge you to permanently terminate all business with Huntingdon Life Sciences. Thank you for your valuable time and consideration.
SOURCE OF INFORMATION / REFERENCE LINKS
Donate to Kinship Circle. Your donation lets us meet goals/expenses for:
- Animal Disaster Aid Network
- Educational Literature And Outreach
- Website With Downloadable Tools For Activists
- Research/Campaigns To Help animals...and more
*DISCLAIMER: The information in these alerts is verified with the original source. Kinship Circle does not assume responsibility for the accuracy of the information or for the consequences of its use. Nothing in this email is intended to encourage illegal action in whatever country you are reading it in. Kinship Circle does not engage in, nor support, any form of harassment or unlawful activity. Nothing in this alert serves to promote such conduct.
The calf photo on these pages is from Farm Sanctuary with our thanks.
We welcome your comments:
Fair Use Notice: This document may contain copyrighted material whose use has not been specifically authorized by the copyright owners. We believe that this not-for-profit, educational use on the Web constitutes a fair use of the copyrighted material (as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law). If you wish to use this copyrighted material for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
All Creatures Action Alerts: justice, peace, love, compassion, ethics,
organizations, Bible, God, Lord, Jesus, Christ, Holy Spirit, grass roots, animals, cruelty
free, lifestyle, hunting, fishing, traping, farm, farming, factory, fur, meat, slaughter, cattle, beef, pork, chicken, poultry, hens, battery, debeaking. Thee is also a similarity to the human aspects of prolife, pro life, pro-life, abortion, capital punishment, and war.
| Home Page | Animal Issues | Archive | Art and Photos | Articles | Bible | Books | Church and Religion | Discussions | Health | Humor | Letters | Links | Nature Studies | Poetry and Stories | Quotations | Recipes | What's New? |
Thank you for visiting all-creatures.org.