Moo-ving people toward compassionate living
Your letters and calls do help!
Originally Posted: 8 August 2009
Save Pigeons at the Santa Monica Pier
Tell Santa Monica City Council to halt plans to trap and kill Pigeons.
Mr. Ken Genser, Mayor
All City Council Members
Santa Monica City Council
1685 Main Street, Room 209
Santa Monica, CA 90401
phone (310) 458-8201
fax (310) 458-1621
email all Councilmembers
Santa Monica City Hall Protest
Tuesday, August 11, 2009
1685 Main St., Santa Monica, CA
The Santa Monica City Council is taking action to try to improve the water quality at the local pier - by killing the pigeons!
Although the Council has no studies to support the hypothesis that pigeons are the reason for poor water quality, the Council has voted to put a net under the portion of the pier near where the water samples are drawn to exclude pigeons from the roosts they have used for 50 years - to see if perhaps this might possibly improve the water samples!
We will have a press conference in front of Santa Monica City Hall at 5:00 pm on Tuesday, August 11th before the City Council meets at 6:00 pm. The City Hall is located at 1685 Main St., Santa Monica, CA 90401. Let us know if you are coming and tell us if you want us to make a sign for you!
We need your help stopping this. Please call and e-mail the committee members from now until Tuesday night!!!
- There was no water quality information incriminating the pigeons directly in the water quality ratings. That was just a suggestion by Heal the Bay, who needs to reverse that suggestion.
- Pigeons have chicks year round - nesting pigeons and babies too young to fly will starve to death trapped behind the net. This is not the way to run an experiment!
- It is impossible to relocate nests as Bird Busters say they will. Babies will be killed in the process and parents will not be able to find their nests.
- This will not reduce the pigeon population (if the birds are actually the cause of the bacteria in the water). It will merely relocate them a few yards away and the number of birds will continue to grow.
- There is an effective and humane solution to reduce the pigeon population - an aggressive Ovo-Control program (like birth control for pigeons) with 10 feeders will reduce the pigeon population by about 50% per year.
- The net costs $107,000. The aggressive Ovo-Control program is about $10,000 per year for the first 2 years and then becomes less as the number of birds decreases.
- This action to disrupt and kill birds to see if it might possibly change water quality does not make any sense from a humane point of view.
Thank you for everything you do for animals!
Return to Action Alerts
Please Help Our Efforts
We welcome your comments:
Fair Use Notice: This document may contain copyrighted material whose use has not been specifically authorized by the copyright owners. We believe that this not-for-profit, educational use on the Web constitutes a fair use of the copyrighted material (as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law). If you wish to use this copyrighted material for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
All Creatures Action Alerts: justice, peace, love, compassion, ethics, organizations, Bible, God, Lord, Jesus, Christ, Holy Spirit, grass roots, animals, cruelty free, lifestyle, hunting, fishing, trapping, farm, farming, factory, fur, meat, slaughter, cattle, beef, pork, chicken, poultry, hens, battery, debeaking. Thee is also a similarity to the human aspects of prolife, pro life, pro-life, abortion, capital punishment, and war.
| Home Page | Animal Issues | Archive | Art and Photos | Articles | Bible | Books | Church and Religion | Discussions | Health | Humor | Letters | Links | Nature Studies | Poetry and Stories | Quotations | Recipes | What's New? |
Thank you for visiting all-creatures.org.