Moo-ving people toward compassionate living
Your letters and calls do help!
"Be the change you wish to see in the world" ~Mohandas Gandhi
"Our lives began and end the day we become silent things that matter" ~Martin Luther King, Jr.
Originally Posted: October 31, 2012
FROM Food Not Bombs
You can help Food Not Bombs provide vegan food and logistical
support for the survivors of Sandy.
SANDY RELIEF PROGRAM
INFORMATION / TALKING POINTS
These are some of the things you can do to help us respond effectively to these disasters.
1. Organize a meeting this week - calling, emailing and posting flyers about the need for people to help and remember to include the day, time and location of the meeting.
2. At the meeting organize committees that will focus on seeking food donations, propane stoves, tanks of gas, tables and cooking equipment. Ask another committee to recruit more volunteers and organize another committee responsible for transportation. Another committee can organize benefit concerts and other fundraising projects.
3. Choose a time, date and location for where your vehicles will gather to take the trip to the disaster area.
4. Collect 25 and 50 pound bags of rice, beans, 25 and 50-pound bags of rice, beans, black-eyed peas, lentils and any other large amounts of dry goods, pasta cooking oil, spices and other non perishable food. We can also use propane stoves, kitchen equipment, pop up tents, sleeping tents, folding tables, water jugs, toothpaste, soap, shampoo, socks, medical equipment, batteries and other personal items.
5. Once on site you can organize your kitchen and encourage survivors to help prepare the next meal. This will be very helpful to those who may have lost their homes giving them a useful task to help ease their pain. They can help you set up the kitchen equipment, join your volunteers in collecting locally discarded produce, bread and other surplus food. Other volunteers can seek a source of fresh water and organize the resupply of water to the kitchen.
6. Contact us to report on your progress and request support by emailing our office at firstname.lastname@example.org or calling us at 1-800-884-1136.
Thank you for everything you do for animals!