What's wrong with circuses? Why are animal rights
activists trying to ruin the
fun of young and old alike? Circuses are a tradition, why stop them now?
Here are just a few of the reasons:
* Circus animals are forced to travel thousands of miles for 48-50 weeks
year, freezing in the winter and sweltering in the summer.
* Circus animals often live in their small transportation cages, and are
let out only
* Performing animals are prisoners that have committed no crime. They
95% of their lives shackled in chains.
* Performing animals are trained with steel rods, whips, muzzles,
and paw burning.
* Elephants live 30 years longer in the wild than they do in captivity.
* Since 1990, over 35 people have been killed and 100 have been injured
captive elephants that have become tired of the abuse they are
* These animals endure constant stress through confinement, lack of
months of traveling, and climate changes.
* On January 8th, 1998 a Ringling Brothers Barnum & Bailey (RBBB) animal
trainer was mauled by a tiger. After the incident the trainers brother
tiger 5 times with a shotgun while it was in a cage. Another trainer
was attacked in November of '98.
* Since 1990, 16 people have been killed and 59 have been injured by
* Many performing animals develop stress related disorders such as bar
continuous pacing, and self mutilation.
* A USDA inspector observed a RBBB elephant handler hitting an elephant
make it standup.
* On January 25th, 1998 a baby elephant with RBBB circus died after
forced to perform in 3 shows while he was sick. Ringling was fined by
because of this incident.
* Henry Ringling North, previous owner of RBBB stated, "All sorts of
brutalities are used to force them to respect the trainer and learn
They work for fear."
* The captive nature of circus animals provides no educational value.
environment is too artificial to teach us the true nature of these
Sounds like the circus should be renamed - The Cruelest
Show on Earth
For more information, see the Richmond Animal Rights
Go on to Febreze
Return to 7 April 1999 Issue
Return to Newsletters
** Fair Use Notice**
This document may contain copyrighted material, use of which has not been
specifically authorized by the copyright owners. I believe that this
not-for-profit, educational use on the Web constitutes a fair use of the
copyrighted material (as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright
Law). If you wish to use this copyrighted material for purposes of your
own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright