When you're a kid or a teenager, it may seem impossible
to make a difference. But that's far from the truth! Here are ways that
you can help animals.
1. ALWAYS cut the plastic ring things that hold 6-packs
of sodas together. When these aren't cut, animals can get them caught
around their neck or mouth, resulting in death. If you find any of these
that aren't cut, cut them so there are no holes!
2. Adopt a cat or a dog from your local animal shelter.
Most of these animals are put to sleep due to not enough homes for all
of them. By buying one from a pet store, you're making one less
potential home for an animal in desperate need of one.
3. Donate a dollar to an animal shelter or rescue
4. Volunteer in an organization that helps animals, such
as a wildlife rescue or rehabilitation center, somewhere that takes care
of animals that will never be able to survive in the wild, or an animal
5. Pick up garbage in your community.
6. If you find an orphaned, injured, or sick animal
bring it to a wildlife rescue center.
7. If you see a cat watching birds with a hungry eye,
scare the birds away.
8. Build a birdhouse and put it in a tree.
9. Build a birdhouse specially designed for an
10. Don't feed wild animals such as deer and squirrels.
They may enjoy it, but if too many people feed them they become
dependent on that food, and when winter comes and they're on their own,
they're unable to fend for themselves. Human food can also be very bad
11. Make signs telling people how they can help save the
rainforest, why they should adopt an animal, to boycott ivory, or
anything else they can do to help animals. The list of possibilities to
put up signs goes on and on...
12. Boycott ivory, fur, and anything coming from an
13. If you disagree with something someone or a company
is doing concerning animals, make a petition, get a lot of people to
sign it, and send it to whomever you're objecting to.
14. Write letters of complaint, support, or suggestions
to businesses or people who can do something about it.
15. You may have noticed that frogs, toads, and newts
are disappearing from your community. Or you may have found some
deformed ones. This is happening all over the world and scientists don't
know why! Help them find out by adopting a frog pond or reporting on the
frogs in your area.
16. Become a vegetarian. By doing this you can save the
lives of over 2,000 animals and improve your health!
17. Boycott products that test on animals, as this is
very cruel, unnecessary, and isn't required by law.
Go on to Recipe:
Summer Picnic Pasta Salad Italiano
Return to 18 August 1999 Issue
Return to Newsletters
** Fair Use Notice**
This document may contain copyrighted material, use of which has not been
specifically authorized by the copyright owners. I believe that this
not-for-profit, educational use on the Web constitutes a fair use of the
copyrighted material (as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright
Law). If you wish to use this copyrighted material for purposes of your
own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright