Vegan - Vegetarian - Human Rights - Animal Rights - People - Animals - Love - Compassion - Peace - Justice - Righteousness - God - Bible - Jewish - Christian - Jesus - Christ - Holy Spirit - Soul - Spirit - Wisdom - Knowledge - Environment
Dog and Cat Food
A normally carnivorous companion animal or "pet" can be converted to a vegetarian or vegan diet. This type of diet can extend the lives of both cats and dogs and save millions of other animals each year.
By: Anai Rhoads
I read your article about dogs and diet. I have two cats. They eat regular cat food (dry and moist). Can a cat go vegan too?
With recommended supplements, your cats will achieve success on a vegan diet. Most would consider this to be inhumane, but on the contrary. Both felines and canines live a longer life with less health ailments.
Making the transition should be slow. Introducing the vegan foods in small amounts along with their regular food to start off with. Here is a starter recipe your cats might enjoy:
- Vitamin A: Felines require a considerable amount of vitamin A, which is important in the production of carotene. Insufficient amounts may cause intestinal issues, problems with their bones, and hearing loss.
- Taurine is found mostly in meat and fish. This amino-acid helps maintain good eye health, regulate the heart beat, maintain cell membrane stability, and prevent brain cell over-activity. It is very important that felines have taurine in their diets. Ask your vet for supplementation.
Vegan Cat Biscuits
Mix all of the ingredients together. Knead until you create a dough. Roll out to 1/8" thickness. You can use dog bone cookie cutters or any shape if you want. Bake for about 15 minutes in a preheated 350°F oven. Once they are ready, leave them either in the oven, or on a rack overnight to ensure they become dry and hard. If your local supermarket does not carry vegan feline formulas, you can order by phone. The following is a brief list of places you can order from. Ask for their catalogues:
- 9 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour
- 3 cups of water
- 1 cup Nutri-Yeast
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
As with any new food switch, watch for gastrointestinal problems. Any change can cause digestive issues, so take it slow. Allow your felines to adjust as much as possible before removing their store brand dry and moist food.
- Evolution 800-659-0104
- Boss Bars 888-207-9114
- Nature’s Recipe 800-843-4008
- Wow-Bow Distributors 516-254-6064
- Wysong Corporation 800-748-0188
© 2002 Anai Rhoads. All Rights Reserved.
| Dog and Cat Food | Home Page | Article Archives |
We welcome your
| Home Page | Animal Issues | Archive | Art and Photos | Articles | Bible | Books | Church and Religion | Discussions | Health | Humor | Letters | Links | Poetry and Stories | Quotations | Recipes | Site Search | What's New? |
Thank you for visiting all-creatures.org.