Forgiveness Without Sacrifice – Part 07
In the last part of this series, we mentioned that the people followed the cultish sacrificial system, which some people may not understand; so we will let the words of God which were delivered through the prophet Jeremiah explain it a little further in 7:21-26, where He is speaking against Israel.
21. Thus says the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, “Add your burnt offerings to your sacrifices and eat flesh.
22. “For I did not speak to your fathers, or command them in the day that I brought them out of the land of Egypt, concerning burnt offerings and sacrifices.
In other words they are doing evil by following those who promote burnt offerings and sacrifices, which are the cultish sacrificial practices we mentioned. So God explains further.
23. “But this is what I commanded them, saying, ‘Obey My voice, and I will be your God, and you will be My people; and you will walk in all the way which I command you, that it may be well with you.’
This is the obedience that God wants instead of sacrifice.
24. “Yet they did not obey or incline their ear, but walked in their own counsels and in the stubbornness of their evil heart, and went backward and not forward.
25. “Since the day that your fathers came out of the land of Egypt until this day, I have sent you all My servants the prophets, daily rising early and sending them.
26. “Yet they did not listen to Me or incline their ear, but stiffened their neck; they did evil more than their fathers.
Those who follow the sacrificial system and eat flesh are considered to be stiff necked, hard of heart, and evil acting people.
God wants obedience instead of sacrifice, and with that faithful obedience comes our forgiveness by the grace of God.