Living in the Will of God – 12 All Flesh Corrupted
As we continue with our study of living in the will of God, and the way the wicked people of this world had corrupted God’s creation intent, we also see in Genesis 6:9-13 that all flesh had also become corrupted.
9. These are the records of the generations of Noah. Noah was a righteous man, blameless in his time; Noah walked with God.
Rashi, the 11th century Jewish commentator, writes that the statement “Noah walked with God” is in the past without mentioning the present or future, which could help explain why the evilness of human beings continues after the flood, as when Noah sacrificed animals.
This is an important lesson for all of us to learn, because even righteous people can become corrupted in their ways, just as what happened to Samuel when the people demanded a human king. We are to follow only the righteous examples of what people do, and not necessarily the people themselves. We are to always live in the heavenly will of God, and reject the corrupted ways of all flesh in the world.
10. And Noah became the father of three sons: Shem, Ham, and Japheth.
11. Now the earth was corrupt in the sight of God, and the earth was filled with violence.
Not only had the wicked and hard of heart people become violent idolaters and killers, but now they were doing these and other ungodly things openly before God and other inhabitants of the world, which is again being repeated in the world around us.
12. And God looked on the earth, and behold, it was corrupt; for all flesh had corrupted their way upon the earth.
Rashi also says that “all flesh” includes the animals, as well as human beings; for they were having sexual relations between different species. The hardness of heart and wickedness of humans had now corrupted the animals as well as their fellow human beings. This can also help explain why God destroyed most of the animals along with the human beings.
13. Then God said to Noah, “The end of all flesh has come before Me; for the earth is filled with violence because of them; and behold, I am about to destroy them with the earth.
We are to learn from the mistakes and evil intent of past societies, so that we can do everything in our power to prevent the same things from happening in our society, and to set the proper example of living in the will of God for all to see.