Living in the Will of God – 14 Manna from Heaven
Throughout the Hebrew Old Testament of the Bible we see Israel grumbling about one thing or another and turning against the will of God.
One of these times is illustrated for us in Exodus 16:1-5, where God once again tries to turn the people back to his original intent of not killing or eating any animals. He gave them bread from heaven, which the people called manna.
1. Then they set out from Elim, and all the congregation of the sons of Israel came to the wilderness of Sin, which is between Elim and Sinai, on the fifteenth day of the second month after their departure from the land of Egypt.
2. And the whole congregation of the sons of Israel grumbled against Moses and Aaron in the wilderness.
People so easily forget all the good things that God does for them, and they grumble against Him, or those whom He puts in charge, and it is still going on to this very day.
3. And the sons of Israel said to them, “Would that we had died by the Lord’s hand in the land of Egypt, when we sat by the pots of meat, when we ate bread to the full; for you have brought us out into this wilderness to kill this whole assembly with hunger.”
God does not like the people’s grumbling, particularly the part about wanting meat, for it means that the people like the ways of this fallen world with all its suffering and death, which was never a part of His creation intent. Nevertheless, God still responds.
4. Then the LORD said to Moses, “Behold, I will rain bread from heaven for you; and the people shall go out and gather a day’s portion every day, that I may test them, whether or not they will walk in My instruction.
5. And it will come about on the sixth day, when they prepare what they bring in, it will be twice as much as they gather daily.”
The manna God gave the people contained no animal products. It was totally vegan.
God is doing everything in His power to turn the people away from the evil ways of this world and back into the vegan world He created, where there was only the loving thoughts of making a peaceful world where all His created beings would eat only plant foods. (Genesis 1:29-31)
This is living in the will of God.