Committee to Abolish Sport Hunting

sidemap

Letters to the Editor and Others

Hunter Population Dwindling in Maryland

Sent to the Baltimore Sun, 12/8/03

A recent article in the Sun highlighted the nationwide decline in the number of active hunters. (Hunt's on for recruits to a sport in decline 12/3) In the increasingly violent world that we live in, it is refreshing to read that the demise of sport hunting may be only a generation away.

As stated in the Sun article, the age of the average hunter has risen from thirty-five to forty-two today. This is undoubtedly because the younger generation is rejecting the disturbing and disturbed notion that killing helpless and harmless animals is an acceptable form of recreation.

According to the July 2003 issue of Field and Stream magazine, the number of active hunters has been in a slow but steady decline for the last 20 years.

In the last five years alone the number of hunters fell from 14 million to 13 million, one of the steepest drops since the US Fish and Wildlife Service began keeping records in 1955.

The state of Maryland has seen nearly a 25% decline in the number of licensed hunters over the past twenty-seven years. For the wildlife and those who care for them, the remaining 75% cannot put down their violent weapons of death too soon. To learn what you can do to hasten the demise of hunting in America, see our website at http://www.all-creatures.org/cash/  or call 845-256-1400.

Joe Miele, Vice President
Committee to Abolish Sport hunting
Box 562
New Paltz, NY 12561
201-368-8271

Return to Letters to the Editor


We welcome your comments

| About C.A.S.H. | Action Alerts | C.A.S.H. Courier | Join | Letters | Main |

(d-10)

Copyright 2003 Committee to Abolish Sport Hunting

This site is sponsored and maintained by
The Mary T. and Frank L. Hoffman Family Foundation
Thank you for visiting all-creatures.org.
Since date.gif (1356 bytes)