From a Corpus Christi, TX newspaper. The accident was much more
serious than expressed so far.
Whittington to be moved out of intensive care
He will remain hospitalized for several more days
By Neal Falgoust/Caller-Times
February 13, 2006
The 78-year-old man Vice President Dick Cheney accidentally shot
Saturday will be moved out of the intensive care unit this afternoon,
Christus Spohn Hospital Memorial officials said.
"He's in stable condition doing extremely well," hospital
administrator Peter Banko said of Harry Whittington's condition.
"There's no need for him to stay in Intensive care."
Whittington will be moved to a step-down trauma room and he likely
will remain in the hospital for several days, Banko said.
Dr. David Blanchard, the hospital's director of emergency services,
said Whittington had gotten out of bed and spent some time sitting in
a chair. Doctors are monitoring him closely for signs of infection,
Blanchard said, which can be a concern in these types of cases.
Blanchard said many of the wounds to Whittington's face, neck and
upper torso were superficial, but some of the pellets penetrated the
skin. Those pellets will not be removed, he said, because it's more of
a risk to take out the pellets if it's not life threatening. Officials
would not comment on whether Whittington had undergone surgery.
"When he leaves the hospital he will leave with most of the pellets
in him," Blanchard said, adding that the number of pellets is
uncertain. "I don't think anyone has sat down and counted."
Officials said Whittington has been on a liquid diet and he has
been visited by family members.
Blanchard described Whittington's overall health as good.
"His body has tremendous recuperating capacity," Blanchard said.