NC: Watha man mistaken for deer, shot in back
Watha man mistaken for deer, shot in back
By David Reynolds Staff Writer
Published: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 at 5:33 p.m.
A 48-year-old man is recovering at New Hanover Regional Medical
Center after he was shot in the back during a hunting accident in Pender
County last week.
The man was shot with a rifle by another hunter who mistook him for a
deer, said Officer Fred Gorchess of the N.C. Wildlife Resources
The victim was walking out of the woods near Watha about 5:30 p.m.
Friday when he was shot, Gorchess said.
A 23-year-old man was charged with negligent hunting resulting in
bodily injury, a misdemeanor, in connection with the shooting, Gorchess
The two men, who authorities wouldn’t identify, knew each other but
weren’t hunting together, Gorchess said. Both are from the Watha area,
six miles north of Burgaw.
The shooting occurred in a rural area, but not far from homes,
The incident is the most serious hunting-related accident this season
in Duplin, Pender and New Hanover counties, Gorchess said.
It occurred around sunset and shows hunters need to remember basic
precautions, he said.
State law requires all hunters to wear blaze orange – either a hat or
outer garment – that’s visible from all sides, Gorchess said. Shooters
should be sure of their target before they fire.
“People for the most part do what they’re supposed to do,” he said.
Deer hunting season runs from Oct. 18 to Jan. 1. Hunting is permitted
from 30 minutes before sunrise until 30 minutes after sunset, Gorchess