HOME ABOUT CAMPAIGNS CRISIS CENTER ACTIVIST CENTER MEDIA CENTER HUNTING ACCIDENTS C.A.S.H. NEWSLETTER

Hunting Accident File > VIOLATIONS > 2006

OR - Hunting Violations on the Rise

This was a very bad year as far as illegal kills during the deer and elk seasons, according to Senior Trooper Amos Madison, an Oregon State Police fish and game officer based in Prineville.

A lot of the poaching started a week before the deer season, he said. Trespassing on private ranches was a common violation. Spotlighting and hunting after hours were other top violations. Five elk were shot during the deer season that Madison was aware of, including one person who shot two elk. Some of the violators were caught and cited while other cases are still being investigated.

Madison helped with two decoy operations in the Ochocos during the deer season. During one operation, seven vehicles drove by the decoy and all seven stopped and one to three of the occupants shot at it illegally. During the second operation, about 80 percent of the vehicles stopped and shot illegally. Madison said the other 20 percent apparently had prior knowledge that the decoy was out.

To help catch violators, Pond suggests that more people use the TIP hotline (Turn in Poachers) at 800-452-7888. There are substantial rewards for turning in a poacher...

Return to Hunting Violations index


Fair Use Notice: This document may contain copyrighted material whose use has not been specifically authorized by the copyright owners. We believe that this not-for-profit, educational use on the Web constitutes a fair use of the copyrighted material (as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law). If you wish to use this copyrighted material for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

 
 

Home  |  About  |  Campaigns  |  Crisis Center  |  Activists  |  Media  |  Hunting Accidents  |  Newsletter

C.A.S.H.
PO Box 562 New Paltz, NY 12561
Phone 845-256-1400 Fax 845-818-3622
E-mail: cash@cashwildwatch.org
Anne Muller - President

 

C.A.S.H. is a committee of Wildlife Watch, Inc.
a 501(c)3 Not-for-Profit Corporation.
Contributions are tax-deductible.

All content copyright C.A.S.H. unless otherwise noted.

We welcome your comments
   

Thank you for visiting all-creatures.org

Sponsored & Maintained by The Mary T. and Frank L. Hoffman Family Foundation