Easy, Healthy Flatbread Pizza
… the perfect recipe after a Thanksgiving feast! (http://www.hacres.com/home/home.asp)
This quick recipe makes a great, healthy lunch! You combine a light,
whole-grain carbohydrate with healthy vegetables. Add a hearty salad as
the first course and you've got a wonderful, energy-packed lunch!
It serves one but can be easily doubled or tripled, maintaining the
same ratios for all ingredients. However, the cooking time and
temperature stay the same.
1 organic whole wheat tortilla, chapatti, or spelt tortilla (You can
get them fresh or frozen in resealable packages in health food stores).
If frozen, it DOES NOT need to be defrosted!
1 organic roma tomato, slice very thin
1 or 2 organic scallions, chopped thin
1/2 organic red, yellow, or orange bell pepper, diced
1 or 2 slices of veggie (soy) or rice Mozzarella-style cheese
Approx. 10 fresh, organic basil leaves, cut thin
About 1 cup of a good-tasting, organic tomato sauce
A few organic black olives (if desired)
Organic extra-virgin olive oil
Sea salt and ground black pepper (if desired)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. On a non-stick baking sheet, place the tortilla. Spoon the tomato
sauce evenly over the tortilla. Use a bit more if necessary--not too
much though; you don't want to excessively weigh down the finished
3. Add roma tomato slices, as well as creatively positioning all
remaining vegetables, herbs, and olives (if using).
4. Sprinkle a bit of sea salt and ground black pepper, if desired.
5. Drizzle a bit of extra virgin olive oil over the pizza, allowing
the lycopene in the soon-to-be-cooked tomatoes to be better absorbed by
6. Place the 1 or 2 mozzarella-style veggie or rice cheese slices,
shredded by hand, over the top of the tortilla.
7. Place in preheated oven for roughly 12 minutes, or until the
"cheese" is melted.
Let the "pizza" sit a few minutes before cutting with a pizza roller
into fours. You may have to balance the tortilla with your fork as you
put it into your mouth.
Wonderfully healthy and delicious! Enjoy!
Your question and comments are welcome