Cheesy Potato and Lentil Bake
2oz / 50g red lentils
4floz / 115ml water
1 small onion, chopped
1tbsp vegetable margarine
2oz / 50g mushrooms, sliced
1½tbsp wholegrain flour
1tbsp tomato purée
¼pint / 140ml soy milk
½lb / 225g potatoes, cooked and
2oz / 50g vegetarian cheddar
1. Cook the lentils in the water
until they are tender and the water absorbed.
2. Fry the onions in the margarine
in a pan for a few minutes.
3. Add the mushrooms and sauté for
a further few minutes.
4. Add the flour and tomato purée
and stir well. Slowly add the milk, stirring constantly to avoid
lumps. When it is boiling and thickened stir in the basil and
5. Stir the lentils into the sauce.
6. Pour the sauce into an ovenproof
dish, cover with the potatoes then the cheese and cook at
400°C/200°C/gas mark 6 for 20 minutes.