From Christian Vegetarian Association (CVA)
2oz / 50g red lentils
4floz / 115ml water
1 small onion, chopped
1tbsp vegetable margarine
2oz / 50g mushrooms, sliced
1½tbsp wholegrain flour
1tbsp tomato purée
¼pint / 140ml soy milk
½lb / 225g potatoes, cooked and sliced
2oz / 50g vegetarian cheddar
- Cook the lentils in the water until they are tender and the water absorbed.
- Fry the onions in the margarine in a pan for a few minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté for a further few minutes.
- Add the flour and tomato purée and stir well. Slowly add the milk, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. When it is boiling and thickened stir in the basil and pepper.
- Stir the lentils into the sauce.
- Pour the sauce into an ovenproof dish, cover with the potatoes then the cheese and cook at 400°C/200°C/gas mark 6 for 20 minutes.
See more Vegan Recipes