HOWLING BANSHEE TREATS - Cinnamon Softies
Yield: about 4 dozen cookies
8 ounces (225g) firm tofu
1/2 cup (120 ml) walnuts
2 cups (480 ml) organic sugar
1/2 cup (120 ml) unsweetened applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups (960 ml) whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (Gas Mark 4) and lightly oil 2
- Combine the tofu and walnuts in the food processor and process
until almost smooth and creamy.
Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Add the organic sugar, applesauce, and vanilla, and mix well.
- In a large bowl combine the salt, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda,
baking powder, and flour, and mix well to form a very thick mixture.
- Drop the batter by teaspoons onto the prepared baking sheets about
2-inches (5 cm) apart. Plan to bake the cookies in two batches.
- Bake about 13 to 15 minutes, or until the bottoms are lightly
browned. Cool 5 minutes, then use a metal spatula to transfer the
cookies to a platter. Store the Cinnamon Softies in an airtight
container or heavy-duty plastic bag.
Your question and comments are welcome