From Christian Vegetarian Association (CVA)
Yield 4 servings
1/4c olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
4 large bell peppers seeded and diced (green peppers are acceptable, but
red, orange, or yellow peppers will make the nicest soup)
1 medium potato
1/2-1 t salt
1 t red pepper flakes
1 1/2-2 c vegetable stock
- Heat the olive oil in the large saucepan.
- Add the onion and sauté for
- Add remaining ingredients except the stock and bring to a simmer.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the
peppers are tender, about 1 hour.
- Pour half of the soup into the blender and purée, followed by the other
half. Meanwhile, put the stock in the small saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Optional: if you want a smoother soup, you can sieve it at this point.
- Return the soup to the saucepan, stir in the stock (use more for a
thinner soup), taste, and season.
- Serve hot or cold, with any of these toppings:
vegan crème fraîche
vegan sour cream
vegan plain yogurt
Read more Vegan Recipes