Tempeh "Chicken" Salad
Makes 4 sandwiches (change servings and units)
12 ounces tempeh, cubed
1 stalk celery, minced
2 tablespoons red bell peppers, minced
1 large dill pickles, minced
2-3 scallions, minced
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 cup soy mayonnaise (more or less to taste)
1 tablespoon yellow mustard (spicy golden brown is nice too)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Place the cubed tempeh in a saucepan of boiling, salted water.
- Reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 12 minutes, drain and set
aside to cool.
- I usually toss it in the fridge.
- In a large bowl, combine the celery, pepper, pickle, scallion and
- Run a knife through the cubed tempeh, just to give it a rough chop
(optional, the cubes work fine
too) Add chopped tempeh to the bowl, along with the mayonnaise,
mustard, lemon, salt and pepper.
- Fold everything together, cover, and refrigerate for at least 30
minutes to let the flavors combine.
- This will keep covered in the fridge for 2-3 days.
- This salad goes great on wheat toast, in a pita pocket, or in a
Joel Freedman, of Canandaigua, chairs the public education
committee of Animal Rights Advocates of Upstate New York.Joel
Freedman, of Canandaigua, chairs the public education committee of
Animal Rights Advocates of Upstate New York.
Your question and comments are welcome