Italian Style Rice: a quick side or main dish
2 cups Brown Rice, uncooked
1 28-oz. can Tomatoes, whole
1 cup Corn, sweet, fresh or frozen
1/2 cup Green Bell Peppers, fresh or frozen
1 Onion, medium size
1 tbsp. Garlic, crushed
1 tbsp. Oregano, dry
Hot Red Pepper Sauce, to taste
- Normally, when cooking rice we use 2 cups of water for every cup of
rice. In this recipe, we have to account for the water content of the
tomatoes and vegetables. Therefore, we suggest that you begin by
bringing to a boil 2 cups of water in a covered glass pot on the stove
- While the water is heating, wash, peel and dice the onion, and add
to the water. Peel and crush the garlic and add to the water. Add the
corn and diced green peppers.
- Open the can of tomatoes, and pour the liquid into the pot. Cut the
tomatoes into bite size pieces and add to the pot.
- Add the oregano and hot red pepper sauce.
- When the contents come to a boil, add the brown rice and simmer
until all the liquid is absorbed. Check the texture of the rice. If the
rice isn't tender, add a little more water and continue cooking until
the additional water is absorbed, repeating as necessary until the rice
is tender. (For future reference, we suggest keeping track of the amount
of additional water you use.)
- Serve and enjoy! We serve Italian rice as a main dish with a large
salad of fresh mixed greens and veggies.
Your question and comments are welcome