From Christian Vegetarian Association (CVA)
Makes 8 servings
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
4 cups chopped eggplant
1 red or green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 pound small fresh button mushrooms, sliced
3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves or 1 tablespoon dried basil leaves,
1-1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano leaves or 1-1/2 teaspoons dried
oregano leaves, crushed
2 cups cooked pearl barley (see cooking directions below)
1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans, drained
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes and juice
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1 teaspoon seasoned pepper
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup chopped pimiento-stuffed green olives
10 drops red pepper sauce
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic; sauté
until golden, stirring occasionally.
- Add eggplant, bell pepper, mushrooms,
basil and oregano; sauté 10 minutes.
- Stir in cooked barley, garbanzo beans,
diced tomatoes and juice, tomato sauce, salt and pepper.
- Simmer 10 minutes.
- Mix in vinegar, olives and red pepper sauce; simmer 5 minutes longer.
cook pearl barley:
- Place 1 cup pearl barley, 3 cups water and 1/2 teaspoon
salt in medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook
45 minutes or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Makes about 3
to 3-1/2 cups.
- Place extra cooked barley in an airtight container and freeze for