From Christian Vegetarian Association (CVA)
Asparagus, Collards and Rice Casserole in a Tofu Cream Sauce
1-1/2 lbs. Asparagus
1-1/2 lbs. Collard Greens
1 Onion, large, diced
4-6 Garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbsp. Oregano, dried
1/4 tsp. Cayenne Pepper (optional)
1 lb. Tofu, firm
1 tsp. Turmeric, powder
4 Carrots, large
2/3 cup Lemon Juice
2/3 cup Nutritional Yeast
3 tbsp. Corn Starch
2 cups Brown Rice cooked in 4 cups of water
- Peel and dice the onion and peel and mince the Garlic and place in a
large covered glass baking dish and precook for about 5 minutes in a
microwave oven on "high", or in a conventional oven at 350 degrees F.
- Begin to cook the Brown Rice in a separate pot on the stove top.
- Thoroughly wash the collard greens and coarsely shred in a food
processor or by cutting with a knife. Add the shredded collard greens,
oregano, and cayenne pepper to the onions in the baking dish and cook for
about 10 minutes or until the collard greens become tender. Mix every 5
minutes to insure even cooking.
- While the collards are cooking, wash the asparagus spears, trim off the
bottom 1/4 inch and cut into 1 to 1-1/2 inch lengths. Add the asparagus to
the baking dish and continue cooking for another 10 minutes, mixing every
- Place the tofu, lemon juice, peeled and cut carrots, turmeric,
nutritional yeast, and corn starch in a high speed blender. Cover and blend
on "high speed" until creamy smooth.
- When the asparagus and collards are tender, add the cooked rice and the
blenderized tofu ingredients and mix thoroughly. Cover and place back into
the microwave or conventional oven and cook for another 5 minutes. Mix again
and cook for another 5 minutes or until the casserole is firm.
See more Vegan Recipes