Spicy Vegan Scalloped Potatoes with Chilies
4 -5 potatoes, sliced thin
1/2 cup vegan margarine
1/2 cup flour
3 1/2 cups boiling water
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp garlic powder
3/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 4 ounce can diced green chilies, drained
dash paprika, to taste (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Lightly grease a casserole baking dish and spread the sliced
potatoes in the dish.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the flour and vegan margarine
over low heat until margarine is melted and combined with the flour. Add
the boiling water, soy sauce, garlic and onion powder and turmeric,
stirring briskly for a few minutes, until sauce has thickened.
- Whisk in the oil and nutritional yeast, stirring until smooth, then
stir in the chilies.
- Pour this sauce over the potatoes and gently stir to combine and
coat the potatoes well. Sprinkle with a generous dash of salt and
pepper, and paprika, if desired.
- Cover with foil or lid and bake for 30 minutes, then remove foil or
lid and bake uncovered for 30 more minutes, until the top layer of
potatoes is golden brown. Sprinkle with additional salt, pepper and
paprika before serving, if desired.
Your question and comments are welcome