From Christian Vegetarian Association (CVA)
Carrot Ginger Soup
Preparation time: 20 minutes
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 inch ginger, minced, to taste
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 potato, chopped (optional)
2 ribs celery, chopped (optional)
3 carrots, cut in chunks
1 quart vegetable broth, or to desired thickness
1 tsp coriander (optional)
1 bay leaf
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Saute onion, garlic, ginger, and oil together in a large saucepan on
high heat until onions are translucent. Add potatoes, celery, and carrots.
Add broth and spices and bring to a boil. Lower heat and cook until carrots
- Remove the bay leaf and then puree soup in a blender. Do this in
batches, never filling the blender more than half full. Taste and season
- You do not need to use precision when adding and measuring ingredients
in this recipe. It is okay to use more or less carrots, broth, spices, or
other veggies than called for in the recipe.
- Try making this simple vegetarian recipe with other vegetables -
whatever is in season or in your fridge. Parsnips would be delicious in this
- Try adding other herbs and spices. For example, try adding lavender.
- To add citrus tones to your soup, squeeze in a bit of lemon juice or
add some grated citrus peel.
- Make your soup creamier by adding a splash of skim milk, soy milk, or
rice milk right before serving it.
- Save a step by using baby carrots - about 2 cups.
Read more at