Carrot Ginger Soup
Prep time: 20 min; Total time: 20 min
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 inch ginger, minced, to taste
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 potato, chopped (optional)
2 ribs celery, chopped (optional)
3 carrots, cut in chunks
1 quart vegetable broth, or to desired thickness
1 tsp coriander (optional)
1 bay leaf
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Saute onion, garlic, ginger, and oil together in a large saucepan
on high heat until onions are translucent. Add potatoes, celery, and
carrots. Add broth and spices and bring to a boil. Lower heat and cook
until carrots are soft.
- Remove the bay leaf and then puree soup in a blender. Do this in
batches, never filling the blender more than half full. Taste and season
as desired. Enjoy!
- You do not need to use precision when adding and measuring
ingredients in this recipe. It is okay to use more or less carrots,
broth, spices, or other veggies than called for in the recipe.
- Try making this simple vegetarian recipe with other vegetables -
whatever is in season or in your fridge. Parsnips would be delicious in
- Try adding other herbs and spices. For example, try adding
- To add citrus tones to your soup, squeeze in a bit of lemon juice
or add some grated citrus peel.
- Make your soup creamier by adding a splash of skim milk, soy milk,
or rice milk right before serving it.
- Save a step by using baby carrots - about 2 cups.
Your question and comments are welcome