Cauliflower Cream of Soup
•1 medium head cauliflower
•4 cups vegetable soup stock (recipe below) OR 4 c. water + 2 veggie
•One half tsp powdered or crushed dried rosemary
•1 tsp dried powdered or crushed dried thyme
•3 Tbsp olive oil
•Optional: 1 - 2 cloves garlic, crushed
•Optional: 1/4 cup diced yellow onion
•3 Tbsp flour
•1/4 tsp turmeric
•1/4 tsp gr. cumin
•1 tsp gr coriander
•1/2 tsp gr ginger
•2 - 3 cups unsweetened fortified rice milk or almond milk
•Up to 1 tsp salt
•Fresh ground black pepper
•1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- Remove leaves, and chop cauliflower into large (2 inch) pieces.
- Add cauliflower to stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover
and simmer until tender.
- Optional onion &; garlic: peel and crush garlic cloves, dice onion.
Sauté on medium heat in 1 Tbsp olive oil for 10 minutes. Add to pot.
- Blend soup (in 2 batches) OR put solids through a foodmill, or mash
and strain. Puree until smooth. Set aside.
- White sauce: Heat the olive oil in the soup pan. Add the flour and
spices, and cook on low for ten minutes or until it browns slightly and
starts to bubble.
- Stir in rice milk with a whisk, bring to a boil then simmer till
thickened, stirring constantly with the whisk. This is important -
otherwise your sauce will be lumpy. If that happens, blend it or put it
through a sieve.
- Stir in cauliflower puree and fresh parsley. Add more non-dairy
milk if the soup seems too thick. Adjust salt if needed, and fresh
ground pepper in to taste.
- Heat gently (don't boil). Serve immediately.
Your question and comments are welcome