Veggie Sausage Gumbo
Makes 4 servings
* 1 cup frozen okra
* 16 ounces veggie sausage links, cut into 1-inch pieces (Tofurky
Italian Sausage, Lightlife
Smart Links Country Breakfast Style or another brand of vegan
* 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 1 large onion, chopped
* 1 large green pepper, chopped
* 2 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
* 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
* 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
* 1 16-ounce can diced tomatoes
* 1 cup celery, chopped
* 5 cups vegetable stock
* salt to taste (if desired)
* Tabasco sauce to taste (if desired)
* 2 cups cooked rice
- Fry the okra until lightly browned and set aside.
- Lightly fry the sausage pieces and set aside.
- Combine flour and oil in a large pot, stirring constantly.
- Sauté over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add okra, onion,
pepper, garlic, thyme, and ground red pepper. Cook for 1 minute on
medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Stir in veggie sausage, tomatoes, celery, vegetable stock, and
cook 15 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Add salt and Tabasco
sauce if desired. Serve over rice.
Your question and comments are welcome