Vegan Pasta Pie Recipe
Make extra spaghetti the day before to use as a base in this pie
(tip: rinse it with hot water before using to soften it; drain
well). As for veggies- I used the vegetables I had on hand, but you
could also roast cut green beans, chopped broccoli, red pepper, red
onion or scallions.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil a deep 9-inch pie
plate and set aside.
1 1/2 to 2 cups cooked spaghetti noodles
2 cups vegetables for roasting: leek, mushrooms, grape tomatoes
2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
Dried Italian Herbs: basil, thyme, oregano, parsley, to taste
Sea salt and ground pepper, to taste
Vegan white sauce- recipe follows
1/2 cup gluten-free cornbread crumbs
Fresh chopped rosemary, to taste
6 trimmed fresh asparagus spears for the top
- Slice up a leek, and mushrooms and toss them into a roasting
pan. Add enough grape tomatoes to bring the amount to heaping cups
or so. Drizzle with a little olive oil. Season with sea salt and
ground pepper, herbs; toss to coat. Roast in the preheated oven till
tender- about 30 minutes or so.
- In the meantime make your white sauce.
Basic Vegan White Sauce Recipe
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 cups non-dairy milk (I used plain hemp milk)
1 tablespoon rice or sorghum flour
3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
3 tablespoons white wine
1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
Pinch of nutmeg
Minced onion and garlic, to taste.
- In a sauce pan add the olive oil, non-dairy milk and potato
flour; whisk and cook over medium heat. The potato flour will
thicken the milk. Add in the nutritional yeast and whisk. Add the
wine, mustard, nutmeg, minced onion and garlic, and stir till
- This is your basic vegan white sauce. Now we're going to make
it a little eggy for the pie.
- Mix up: Ener-G Egg Replacer for two eggs using warm non-dairy
- Stir it into the white sauce.
2 tablespoons millet flour, or rice flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
- Whisk to combine.
- When the veggies are roasted, layer the cooked pasta in the
prepared pie plate. Pour in the vegan white sauce mixture and shimmy
the noodles a bit to allow the sauce to seep in. Top with the
- Toss the cornbread crumbs in a drizzle of olive oil and
sprinkle over the pie. Press down a bit to compact the layers.
Sprinkle with chopped fresh rosemary. Arrange the uncooked asparagus
spears on the top.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 25 minutes or so, till
- Allow the pie to rest for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
Use a sharp knife to slice and a pie shaped spatula/server.
Makes six slices.
Your question and comments are welcome