Low-Fat Gingerbread Cookies
5 c. of Whole-Wheat Pastry Flour
2 t. baking Soda
1 T. ground Ginger
1 t. ground Cinnamon
3/4 t. ground Cloves
1/2 t. salt
1/3 c. vegan Butter [moderator's note: use additional applesauce
to make fat-free]
1 1/2 c. molasses
1/2 c. applesauce
2 T. vinegar
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk whole-wheat pastry flour, baking
soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and salt until well blended.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the butter until it is creamed. Add
the molasses, applesauce and vinegar and continue whisking until
4. Slowly stir the flour mixture into the wet mixture.
5. Chill dough in refrigerator for 15-20 minutes until firm
enough to roll.
6. On parchment paper, or a lightly-floured surface, roll the
dough to 1/8” thick. Sprinkle extra flour on top, if the dough is
Cut dough into gingerbread men or holiday shapes.
7. Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 6-8 minutes until light
brown. Remove cookies from the oven and let cool completely before
decorating. Sprinkle with vegan powdered sugar or make a quick icing
for more details.
* Optional Icing – Whisk 1 c. vegan powdered sugar, 2 T water and
¼ t. Vanilla until lumps are dissolved. Pipe through a plastic bag
with the corner cut off.
Your question and comments are welcome