Lemon Chickpea Lentil Soup
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
salt and pepper
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon fresh oregano leaves
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
1 cup dry red lentils
2 small cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 small can diced tomatoes
2 zucchini, diced
2 cups vegetable stock
2 cups water
2 bay leaves
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add
the onion and carrot, and sauté until tender, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute more. Add the cumin
seeds, paprika, salt and pepper, oregano, and thyme, and cook for 1
to 2 minutes.
- Add the lentils, 1 can of chickpeas, tomatoes, zucchini,
vegetable stock, water, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, reduce
heat, and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, until the lentils are tender.
Remove the bay leaves.
- Using an immersion blender, purée the soup until it is thick,
but not smooth. Add the second can of chickpeas and the lemon juice.
- Taste for salt and pepper. Serve immediately with a side of
Herbed Garlic Bread.
Your question and comments are welcome