Banana Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding
6 cups 1″ cubed stale bread (about 1 lb)
1 cup chocolate chips
3 ripe bananas, sliced 1/2” thick
2-2 1/4 cups rice milk, almond milk or soy
3 tablespoons arrowroot powder or tapioca flour
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9 x 5 loaf pan with
- Place cubed bread in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl whisk together ½ cup soy milk and the arrowroot
powder till no lumps remain.
- Add 1 1/2 cups soy milk, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon and
nutmeg and whisk to combine. Pour over cubed bread and stir to coat
- Allow to sit for at least 15 minutes for liquid to soak into
bread. Depending on what kind of bread you use and how stale it is,
add more soy milk (1/4 cup at a time) and allow more soaking time
till every piece of bread is saturated and there’s a little bit of
extra liquid. Mixture should look mushy and wet.
- Fold in chocolate chips and bananas (using hands is the easiest
for this), mashing up a little bit of the bananas. Pour mixture into
loaf pan, patting down to make an even top.
- Bake 28-35 minutes till top is puffed, slightly browned and
feels firm. Allow to cool slightly before slicing and serving. Also
pudding can be scooped with an ice cream scoop when slightly cooled.
Yield: 8-10 servings.
Your question and comments are welcome