Chocolate Vegan Death Cake
(The Grit Restaurant Cookbook, Jessica Greene & Ted Hafer)
Best cake ever!
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 cups sugar
1 cup cocoa powder
1 tablespoon baking soda
2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
3 cups strong brewed coffee
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 12 oz package firm silken tofu
3 cups vegan chocolate chips -- (many semi-sweet brands contain
To prepare cake:
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease 3 9-inch round cake pans, dust
with flour, and line bottom with parchment or wax paper.
- Sift together dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add oil and
- With electric mixer on low speed, blend until fully combined.
With mixer on medium speed, gradually blend in coffee. When mixture
is smooth, add vinegar and blend on low speed just until combined.
- Divide batter evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or just until a knife or toothpick inserted
in the center of layers comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool
15 to 20 minutes on a wire rack. Remove from pans and allow layers
to cool completely before icing.
To prepare icing:
- Drain excess fluid from silken tofu, crush, and place on a
medium saucepan with chocolate chips.
- Stir together over medium heat until chocolate is very soft.
- Transfer to food processor and puree until fully blended. Cool
to spreadable consistency and frost between layers and top and sides
Your question and comments are welcome