1 pound couscous
3 cups vegetable broth or water
2 large onions, chop and saute
1/2 cup olive oil
1 15 oz. can chick peas, drained
2/3 cup dried currants
2 bunches of scallions, chopped
1 box frozen peas, defrosted
4 tablespoons cilantro
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon curry
1/2 teaspoon coriander
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 large vine-ripened tomatoes,
1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Saute onions with 1/4 cup of olive oil until golden brown. Cool and
- In a 3-4 quart heavy saucepan, bring the broth or water to a boil.
Add cous cous, cover and remove from heat. Allow to sit for 5 minutes
until cous cous absorbs all liquid.
- Add 1/4 cup of olive oil to cous cous along with onion and mix.
Combine next 12 ingredients, add and mix thoroughly. Can be refrigerated
all day up to this point.
- Just before serving, add diced tomatoes and mix. Sprinkle with
almonds that have been toasted for 3-5 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Garnish with cilantro sprigs.
Your question and comments are welcome