From Christian Vegetarian Association (CVA)
Wild Mushroom Spread with Croutons
1 ounce dried porcini or other wild mushroom
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
8 ounces white button mushrooms, cleaned, trimmed, and sliced
2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons marsala, port, sherry, or Madeira
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
16 to 20 (1/2-inch thick) baguette rounds, lightly toasted
- Soak the porcini mushrooms in 1 cup hot water for 15 minutes; drain,
and reserve the soaking liquid. Strain the soaking liquid through a coffee
filter or paper towel-lined strainer.
- Reserve 1/2 cup and set aside. (Save
the remaining strained liquid for soups or stocks, if desired.) Rinse the
mushrooms thoroughly; chop coarsely and set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the
porcini mushrooms, button mushrooms, garlic, salt, and pepper.
stirring often, until the mushrooms have started to give off their liquid, 3
to 5 minutes.
- Add the marsala and reserved soaking liquid to the skillet; bring to a
boil over high heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until the liquids are
greatly reduced and syrupy.
- Remove from the heat and add the parsley,
stirring well to combine. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper
- Serve warm with baguette rounds.