"It has been almost a week since the Compassion for Animals Road
Expedition (CARE) first attempted to cross the Canadian/U.S. border, in
vain. We were told that we did not have the necessary documents to enter
the United States for any kind of public speaking, or to do any kind of
work, paid or unpaid. We were further warned that if we tried to re-enter
the U.S. under any false pretense, we would be barred from entry of any
kind for 5 years.
"We did not make this announcement any earlier, except to our CARE
participants and supporters in Washington, Oregon and California – the
first three states in CARE’s 40-state itinerary – because we wanted to try
other avenues and border crossings, which had become our full time
occupation over the last six days. We (Brenda Davis, her son Cory and I)
loaded and unloaded the CARE-a-van twice, visited the U.S. Consulate
twice, consulted two immigration attorneys, were refused at two border
crossings on three occasions, spoke with our U.S. sponsor by phone
numerous times… To make a long story short, we have come to the conclusion
that our best and perhaps only option is to postpone the tour to the fall.
"Without a doubt, this is a blow and a setback.... But though the CARE
tour has been stalled, animal sufferings and species endangerment continue
unabated, and we must look forward. The wheels are already in motion in
redesigning the CARE tour route. We have our sight set on departing from
Vancouver in September, and on returning to Vancouver in April, with a
month-long break around Christmas...."
Return to CARE Tour - 1