Curried Sweet Potato Bisque
by Lauren Klatsky
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup onion, chopped
1 Tablespoon fresh ginger root, grated
1 Tablespoon curry powder
2 small carrots, peeled and chopped
2 medium-sized Garnet yams (about 1 - 1-1/4 pounds), peeled and cut into 1"
2 Tablespoons white rice
4 cups vegetable broth
One 5.5 oz. can coconut milk (about 3/4 cup)
1/4 cup orange juice
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 cup toasted coconut flakes
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
1. Heat oil in soup pot over medium-high heat and add on-
ions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft and translucent, 5-7
minutes. Add ginger and curry powder and cook, stirring, another minute.
2. Add carrots and cook 2-3 minutes. Add yams, rice and
vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook, partially
covered, until vegetables are soft, about 15 minutes.
3. Puree soup in a blender until completely smooth and re-
turn to pot.
4. Stir in coconut milk and orange juice. Reheat to serving
temperature and season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Serve soup immediately garnished with toasted coconut
flakes and chopped cilantro.