Golden Quinoa Pilaf
1 cup quinoa
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup yellow onion, small dice
1/2 red bell pepper, small dice (about 1/2 cup)
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
2 cups vegetable broth or water
1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
black pepper, to taste
1. Rinse quinoa under cool running water in a fine-mesh
strainer and drain well.
2. Heat oil in a medium-sized sauce pan over medium heat. Add
onion and pepper and saute until vegetables are softened, about 5-7 minutes.
3. Stir in turmeric and cumin. Cook, stirring, for 1-2
4. Add quinoa and toss to coat with vegetables and spices.
Cook 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Add broth or water and salt & pepper (use larger amount of
salt if using water). Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and cook, covered,
15-17 minutes, until all liquid is absorbed.
6. Allow to stand covered for 5-10 minutes. Fluff with a fork
before serving. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley, if desired.