Animals In Print
The On-Line Newsletter
From 11 July 2002
CHAP submitted to Akron Council as humane, successful alternatives to their kill/kill, nonproductive ordinance
Schedule a mobile spay/neuter van offering cat sterilization surgeries for
low-income persons and feral cats only. The van would offer referrals to
local veterinarians for future follow up care and services. The van can set
up directly in targeted areas.
$30,000 existing mobile van (NOMAD) 1,000 cats @ $30 per cat=$30,000
$20,000 Part-Time Coordinator to mediate cat complaints
$10,000 Education program on responsible pet care and spay/neuter
NOMAD is a van that currently travels the state offering cat sterilization
surgeries. NOMAD does require volunteers to schedule appointments, find a
location to park, a 30 x 40 building to do check in/out of cats, assistance
with check in/out at the clinics. The City of Barberton is also discussing
the option of a mobile van for surgeries. Perhaps the cost of operating the
van could be shared.
* Community Block Grants (modeled after Toledo and Louisiana programs)
* Council Discretionary Funds
* The Health Department currently allocates $7,000 annually for low cost spay/neuter. This money could be directly paid to an existing spay/neuter program to do the surgeries rather than giving out vouchers, which may or may not be redeemed. Humane organizations/Animal Control would refer needy persons to the program.
* County funding-general fund
* Matching funds/grants (City provides partial funding and private grant foundations the balance)
* Health Department funding (modeled after Columbus program)
Go on to Conclusion
Return to Animals in Print 11 Jul 2002 Issue
| Home Page | Newsletter Directory |
Please send comments and submittals to
the Editor: Linda Beane [email protected]
Animals in Print - A Newsletter concerned with: advances, alerts, animal, animals, attitude, attitudes, beef, cat, cats, chicken, chickens, compassion, consciousness, cows, cruelty, dairy, dog, dogs, ecology, egg, eggs, education, empathy, empathize, empathise, environment, ethics, experiment, experiments, factory, farm, farms, fish, fishing, flesh, food, foods, fur, gentleness, health, human, humans, non-human, hunting, indifference, intelligent, intelligence, kindness, lamb, lambs, liberation, medical, milk, natural, nature, newsletters, pain, pig, pigs, plant, plants, poetry, pork, poultry, research, rights, science, scientific, society, societies, species, stories, study, studies, suffering, test, testing, trapping, vegetable, vegetables, vegan, veganism, vegetarian, vegetarianism, water, welfare (d-8)
This site is hosted and maintained by:
The Mary T. and Frank L. Hoffman Family Foundation
Thank you for visiting all-creatures.org.