Stop Horse Drawn Carriages
- Accidents -
Animal Rights Activism
Be a Voice for the Voiceless
“You must be the change you wish to see in the world” -Gandhi
Moo-ving people toward compassionate living
Campaigns - Stop Horse Drawn Carriages
Resources and Information to help end animal abuse
Horse-Drawn Carriage Accidents
Valentine's Day 2012 - Carriage horse breaks his leg! City tries to hide it
From Coalition to Ban Horse Drawn Carriages
The Department of Consumer Affairs has confirmed a report from an eye witness that a tragic incident happened within Central Park on Valentine's Day, February 14, 2012. One of the carriage horses who was pulling a carriage within the park fell and broke his leg.
Yes you heard correctly! Broke his leg!!! The ASPCA was present. We hear that the horse was then shipped to a "farm" in New Jersey or was it upstate New York? Highly doubtful. A broken leg is a death sentence for a carriage horse. He probably got a bullet through the head. These horses are expendable. Was this horse just so much collateral damage; should he even have been pulling a carriage that day?
ASPCA COMPLICIT? The ASPCA's Humane Law Enforcement Division does the job of a police department. Yet - unlike the NYPD, they are not subject to the Freedom of Information Law to assure transparency in government. They act with impunity doing whatever they choose to do under the guise of being "volunteer." I have asked them to produce a list of carriage horse incidents/accidents but they ignore me. Yet, if they were to reveal what they know about the carriage business in NYC, they could bring the industry down. Are they just fund raising off this Humane Law gig?
This is a list of the accidents we know about that have occurred since July of 2011. Random eye witnesses were responsible for providing information on all of them.
- July 16, 2011 - carriage horse spooked and bolted, galloping from Grand Army Plaza/Fifth Avenue - up Central Park South to 7th Avenue, hitting a taxi and car on the way
- End of July, 1011 - Horse spooks and falls while pulling tourists in Central Park
- July 25, 2011 - taxi crashes into flimsy carriage, causing serious injuries to driver and passengers
- October 23, 2011 - Charlie, NYC carriage horse, collapses and dies on W. 54th St. on his way to work. The cause of his death is still unexplained.
- October 28, 2011 - unnamed horse spooks on Central Park South and runs into the traffic, eventually crashing and falling in the park. He is no longer in the industry.
- November 4, 2011 - Luke, NYC carriage horse, collapses on W. 60th St. He is down for 15 minutes
- December 4, 2011 - horse named Charlie collapsed on W. 59th St. He was painfully pulled up by his bit. He is no longer in the industry.
- February 14, 2012 - horse falls in Central Park and breaks his leg. He is no longer in the industry.
- March 3, 2012 - unnamed horse spooks on 11th Avenue 52nd St., dragging his empty, overturned carriage into the street.
Please write to NYC's mayor and to NYC & Company, the official tourist agency. it is important for them to know how people feel. Mailed snail mail letters are preferred. Mention all of the accidents and ask for the City to do an investigation.
Mayor Michael Bloomberg; City Hall, New York, NY 10007
Contact the mayor through the internet - click here
George Fertitta, CEO of NYC & Company; 810 Seventh Ave., 3 fl; New York, NY 10019
e-mail - [email protected]
Return to Stop Horse Drawn Carriages
Return to Campaigns
Return to Animal Rights Activism
We welcome your comments:
Fair Use Notice: This document may contain copyrighted material whose use has not been specifically authorized by the copyright owners. We believe that this not-for-profit, educational use on the Web constitutes a fair use of the copyrighted material (as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law). If you wish to use this copyrighted material for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
All Creatures Animal Rights Article: justice, peace, love, compassion, ethics,
organizations, Bible, God, Lord, Jesus, Christ, Holy Spirit, grass roots, animals, cruelty
free, lifestyle, hunting, fishing, traping, farm, farming, factory, fur, meat, slaughter, cattle, beef, pork, chicken, poultry, hens, battery, debeaking. Thee is also a similarity to the human aspects of prolife, pro life, pro-life, abortion, capital punishment, and war.
| Home Page | Animal Issues | Archive | Art and Photos | Articles | Bible | Books | Church and Religion | Discussions | Health | Hosted Sites | Humor | Letters | Links | Nature Studies | Poetry and Stories | Quotations | Recipes | What's New? |
Thank you for visiting all-creatures.org.