a different kind of coffee break with Gerry and Ray Coffey
Disease-Free Living Through Fitness and Nutrition
GUILT-FREE GOURMET by Gerry & Ray:
Recipes for those who wish to avoid salt/sugar/oils/flesh foods
More Recipes/Books & Info: [email protected]
Live Sauerkraut Recipe
by Elaina Love
- 1 cabbage (red or green)
- Optional: 1/2 to 1 tsp. Himalayan Crystal Salt
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 4 Tbs. dried dill or 1/2 cup fresh dill chopped
- 2 Tbs. caraway seeds
- 4 to 8 cloves garlic, crushed
1. Slice the cabbage using the 1mm setting on a mandolin or food processor, or cut paper thin with a knife. Discard the outer leaves.
2. Mix all the ingredients together and massage it with your hands. Continue to work the cabbage until the liquid starts to release. You may need to let your hands rest, so leave the cabbage sitting and come back to it every 1/2 hour until when you press on the cabbage, liquid rises to the top.
3. Place the kraut in a 1 quart glass jar. Press the cabbage down until the liquid rises above it about 1/8 inch. The juice may sink back down a little and that is okay.
4. Place a lid on the jar and let sit for 1-4 days, depending on desired sourness.
5. Once the sauerkraut is ready, place it in the refrigerator.
Sauerkraut will keep for up to 8 months in the refrigerator.
Return to Recipes
| Home Page | Articles | Programs | Recipes |
Please feel free to write to us with your comments and questions [email protected]
This site is hosted and maintained by:
The Mary T. and Frank L. Hoffman Family Foundation
Thank you for visiting all-creatures.org.