Ask the University of Mississippi Medical Center to End the Use of Pigs in its Physiology Lab
Action Alert from All-Creatures.org
Physicians Committee for
Responsible Medicine (PCRM)
take a minute to ask University of Mississippi Medical Center School of
Medicine dean James E. Keeton, M.D., and University of Mississippi
chancellor Daniel W. Jones, M.D., to stop the use of live pigs in the
school's medical student physiology lab. This is
the last remaining medical school using animals for this purpose.
an online petition here.
And/or better yet, make direct contact:
Dean James E. Keeton, M.D.
Chancellor Daniel W. Jones, M.D.
University of Mississippi School of Medicine
2500 N. State Street
Jackson, MS 39216
phone (601) 984-1010
INFORMATION / TALKING POINTS
Here are some talking points:
- Please replace the use of animals in UMMC’s physiology lab.
- Anatomical and physiological differences between pigs and humans
render this type of training suboptimal.
- UMMC is one of only four schools in the United States and Canada
that still use live animals for training.
- High-fidelity human-patient simulators more accurately represent
human anatomy and allow for repetitive training.
- UMMC already has a state-of-the-art simulation center than can
easily provide nonanimal training methods.
Thank you for everything you do for animals!
Return to Action Alerts
Other information you may find useful for your activism