From GREY2KUSA December 2011
A few moments ago I left a press conference in Tallahassee, where GREY2K USA released a landmark report on greyhound racing in Florida - Greyhound Racing in Florida - December 2011(91-page PDF).
This report is the result of months of research, and is the first-ever comprehensive look at dog racing in the Sunshine state. All data in the report is recent, obtained from official sources, and is specific to Florida. Some of our findings include:
- As many as 8,000 greyhounds endure lives of terrible confinement at thirteen
tracks across the state. Racing dogs are kept in small, stacked cages for 20
to 23 hours per day.
- State records show greyhounds suffer terrible injuries while racing.
Recently reported injuries include multiple broken legs, an electrocution
and a crushed skull.
- Greyhound racing is a dying industry. Since 2004 alone, tax revenue from
live dog racing has declined by 72%. Track owners and executives have
publicly acknowledged that dog racing is no longer viable.
- Since 2004, state investigators have documented at least nine cases of
severe neglect at Florida dog tracks and associated kennel compounds,
including dogs living in flea-infested cages, dogs with untreated wounds and
greyhounds left to die of starvation.
- Greyhounds have repeatedly tested positive for serious drugs at Florida
dog tracks, including cocaine.
- Ten greyhounds died and 54 were hurt in a 2005 fire at a Florida track.
Without question, greyhound racing in Florida is cruel and inhumane and must end. That is why we are working hard to pass a greyhound decoupling bill, a humane proposal that will significantly reduce dog racing in the state.
Please download a copy of our complete Florida report and read it for yourself. Funds are urgently needed to station GREY2K USA representatives in the capitol for the session. We can be the voice the greyhounds so desperately need in Tallahassee this year. So please make a generous donation to our Florida campaign today.
Together, we can help thousands of greyhounds and win the biggest victory ever for Florida greyhounds!