[Ed. Note: Why is the U.S. government/BLM rounding up wild horses? To pacify the cattle ranchers (another reason to go vegan!) and to pacify the oil industry who wants pipelines built through our public lands where wild horse and burros have lied for centuries. Please watch Mustang Conspiracy for a thorough overview of the reasons behind the rounding up and captivity and slaughter of America's wild horses and burros. For more about Cloud read Cloud's Herd is in Danger of BLM Roundup.
For background information, read The Wild Free-Roaming Horse and Burro Act of 1971.]
The Cloud Foundation released the following announcement May 2011:
Congressman Raul Grijalva has always been a great friend of wild horses and burros, and we sincerely thank him for introducing the House Legislation below which honors Cloud and all wild horses and burros. We encourage you to contact Representative Grijalva, thanking him for his support of all mustangs and burros with legislation that costs the taxpayer nothing, but does much to encourage their protection on our western landscapes.
We strongly urge you to contact your Congressional Representative and urge them to co-sponsor Congressman Grijalva’s Resolution!
H.RES.284 — Honoring wild horses and burros as important to our national
heritage. (Introduced in House – IH)
H. RES. 284
Honoring wild horses and burros as important to our national heritage.
IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
May 26, 2011
Mr. GRIJALVA submitted the following resolution; which was referred to the Committee on Natural Resources
- Honoring wild horses and burros as important to our national heritage.
- Whereas the evolutionary origin of equines is found in North America;
- Whereas wild horses and burros are part of the ecosystem and rangelands of the United States;
- Whereas wild horses and burros are an important part of our national heritage;
- Whereas the National Wild Horse and Burro Program should provide for continued long-term existence and well-being of wild horses and burros on public lands; and
- Whereas Cloud, the most famous and revered wild stallion, was born May 29, 1995, on the Pryor Mountain Wild Horse Range, and embodies the essence of wild horse values of freedom and family: Now, therefore, be it
Resolved, That the House of Representatives–
- honors the 16th birthday of Cloud;
- encourages the people of the United States to observe and celebrate the 16th birthday of Cloud and the intrinsic value of all wild horses and burros;
- recognizes wild horses and burros as living symbols of the western development era and honors their hardy nature; and
- recognizes that with the American frontier long since closed, wild horses and burros remain among the last representatives of the freedom and spirit of the Old West.