A COMPASSIONATE INTERNET CHRISTIAN CHURCH MINISTRY
Please contact Don Gwillim by email or call (44) 01428 723747. Don is cofounder and administrator of Christian Vegetarian Association UK.
CVAUK cannot imagine a God of love approving humanity's massive abuse of God's creatures. As the future of humanity becomes increasingly precarious, will God grant mercy to those who have shown no mercy towards his animals and indifference towards the destruction of his creation? The Bible relates that God promised never to flood the earth again, but the Bible does not contain a promise that God will spare humanity from the consequences of it's own actions.
Churches, Governments and Environmental Organisations throughout the world have favoured lifestyle adjustments, such as driving smaller cars, reducing your energy and recycling. But rarely do we hear our church, government or ecology group calling for a move towards a plant-based diet. This strategy may be politically wise, in that it does not "scare away" meat eating: Christians from the church; supporters from the government; or activists from the ecology group. However, failure to encourage a plant-based diet profoundly undermines the credibility of these institutions.
The church can no longer ignore St Paul who wrote: "Everything is permissible" - but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible – but not everything is constructive. Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others (1Cor 10 v 23). Surely, in a world of limited resources, it is neither permissible, constructive or ethical to encourage an unsustainable, unnecessary, inefficient and uncompassionate meat based diet, that only the rich can afford. CVAUK's ministry is to ensure that the church is made fully aware of the moral implications of ignoring God's perfect, violence-free, plant based diet (Gen.1 v 29, 30). Where is the glory to God in cruelly mass-producing and killing sentient animals, risking our health, making poor people starve and damaging the planet?
Mission of CVAUK
- Support and encourage Christian Vegetarians in the UK
- Share with non-vegetarian Christians how a vegetarian diet can add meaning to their faith
- Show all those with ears to hear that a plant-based way of life represents good, responsible Christian stewardship for all God's Creation
- Fr John Ryder, Anglican Priest, Godshill, Isle of Wight, UK - CVAUK Spokesperson
- Pastor Stephen Potter, Oasis Church, Portsmouth, UK - CVAUK Groups Coordinator
- Jerry Howse, member of the Christian City Church International, Cheltenham, UK - CVAUK Internet Communications
- Don Gwillim, member of the Church of England, Liphook, UK - Co-Founder and Administrator of CVAUK
- Rev. James Thompson (Retired) - Founder of Christians Against All Animal Abuse
- Deborah Jones PhD - Editor of The Ark, Catholic Concern for Animals
- Samantha Chandler, Communications Secretary of 'The Anglican Society for the Welfare of Animals'
- Fr Derek Reeve, Catholic Priest (Retired), Portsmouth UK
- Antony Neesham - Founder of Veg4Lent
NB: Christian Vegetarian Association (UK) adherence, promotion, activity, planning, funding and materials were already underway before the official announcement of the CVAUK in September 2004.
Christian Ministries for Animals and the People Who Care About Them
Return to Church
suggestions and additions are welcome
| Home Page | Animal Issues | Archive | Art and Photos | Articles | Bible | Books | Church and Religion | Discussions | Health | Humor | Letters | Links | Nature Studies | Poetry and Stories | Quotations | Recipes | What's New? |
Thank you for visiting all-creatures.org.