Marketing Milk and Disease
An Articles Archive
Diet - Diseases - Enzymes - Exercise - Health - Herbs - Longevity - Medicine - Minerals - Natural Health - Nutrition - Stress - Vegan - Vegetarian - Vitamins
We began this archive as a means of assisting our visitors in answering many of their health and diet questions, and in encouraging them to take a pro-active part in their own health. We believe the articles and information contained herein are true, but are not presenting them as advice. We, personally, have found that a whole food vegan diet has helped our own health, and simply wish to share with others the things we have found. Each of us must make our own decisions, for it's our own body. If you have a health problem, see your own physician.
Marketing Milk and Disease
By going to the National Library of Medicine at www.nlm.nih.gov you can view the abstracts of most of these studies, and many times secure the original paper.
1) Dairy Management Inc.™. http://www.dairycheckoff.com/news/release-012403.asp
2) Wong S. Recalls of foods and cosmetics due to microbial contamination reported to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. J Food Prot 2000 Aug;63(8):1113-6
3) Chapman PA. Sources of Escherichia coli O157 and experiences over the past 15 years in Sheffield, UK. Symp Ser Soc Appl Microbiol. 2000;(29):51S-60S.
4) Lund BM. Pasteurization of milk and the heat resistance of Mycobacterium avium subsp. paratuberculosis: a critical review of the data. Int J Food Microbiol. 2002 Jul 25;77(1-2):135-45.
5) Gonda M. Bovine immunodeficiency virus. AIDS. 1992 Aug;6(8):759-76
6) Sargeant JM. Associations between farm management practices, productivity, and bovine leukemia virus infection in Ontario dairy herds. Prev Vet Med. 1997 Aug;31(3-4):211-21.
7) VanLeeuwen JA,. Seroprevalence of infection with Mycobacterium avium subspecies paratuberculosis, bovine leukemia virus, and bovine viral diarrhea virus in maritime Canada dairy cattle. Can Vet J. 2001 Mar;42(3):193-8.
8) Trono KG. Seroprevalence of bovine leukemia virus in dairy cattle in Argentina: comparison of sensitivity and specificity of different detection methods. Vet Microbiol. 2001 Nov 26;83(3):235-48.
9) Hursting SD. Diet and human leukemia: an analysis of international data. Prev Med. 1993 May;22(3):409-22.
10) Howell MA. Factor analysis of international cancer mortality data and per capita food consumption. Br J Cancer. 1974 Apr;29(4):328-36.
11) Kristensen P. Incidence and risk factors of cancer among men and women in Norwegian agriculture. Scand J Work Environ Health. 1996 Feb;22(1):14-26.
12) Reif J. Cancer risks in New Zealand farmers. Int J Epidemiol. 1989 Dec;18(4):768-74.
13) Blair A. Leukemia cell types and agricultural practices in Nebraska. Arch Environ Health. 1985 Jul-Aug;40(4):211-4.
14) Donham KJ. Epidemiologic relationships of the bovine population and human leukemia in Iowa. Am J Epidemiol. 1980 Jul;112(1):80-92.
15)Jacobs RM. Detection of multiple retroviral infections in cattle and cross-reactivity of bovine immunodeficiency-like virus and human immunodeficiency virus type 1 proteins using bovine and human sera in a western blot assay. Can J Vet Res. 1992 Oct;56(4):353-9.
16) Johnson J. Molecular biology and pathogenesis of the human T-cell leukaemia/lymphotropic virus Type-1 (HTLV-1). Int J Exp Pathol. 2001 Jun;82(3):135-47.
17) Whetstone CA. Examination of whether persistently indeterminate human immunodeficiency virus type 1 Western immunoblot reactions are due to serological reactivity with bovine immunodeficiency-like virus. J Clin Microbiol. 1992 Apr;30(4):764-70.
18) Ferrer JF. Milk of dairy cows frequently contains a leukemogenic virus. Science. 1981 Aug 28;213(4511):1014-6.
19) Nuotio L. Eradication of enzootic bovine leukosis from Finland. Prev Vet Med. 2003 May 30;59(1-2):43-9.
20) Work Group on Cow’s Milk Protein and Diabetes Mellitus. Infant feeding practices and their possible relationship to the etiology of diabetes mellitus. Pediatrics 94:752, 1994.
21) Iacono G. Intolerance of cow's milk and chronic constipation in children. N Engl J Med. 1998 Oct 15;339(16):1100-4.
22) Yimyaem P. Gastrointestinal manifestations of cow's milk protein allergy during the first year of life. J Med Assoc Thai. 2003 Feb;86(2):116-23.
23) Juntti H. Cow's milk allergy is associated with recurrent otitis media during childhood. Acta Otolaryngol. 1999;119(8):867-73.
24) Tikkanen S. Status of children with cow's milk allergy in infancy by 10 years of age. Acta Paediatr. 2000 Oct;89(10):1174-80.
25) Oranje AP. Natural course of cow's milk allergy in childhood atopic eczema/dermatitis syndrome. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2002 Dec;89(6 Suppl 1):52-5.
26) Bahna S. Allergies to Milk. Grune and Stratton, New York.
27) School Milk Pilot Test: http://www.nationaldairycouncil.org/lvl04/nutrilib/relresearch/pilot_test2.html
28) Results of School Milk Pilot Test: http://www.nutritionexplorations.org/sfs/pilot.asp
29) Greg Miller’s Comments on Obesity: http://www.dairycheckoff.com/check/hl0103.asp
30) Parikh SJ. Calcium intake and adiposity. Am J Clin Nutr. 2003 Feb;77(2):281-7.
31) Barr SI. Increased dairy product or calcium intake: is body weight or composition affected in humans? J Nutr. 2003 Jan;133(1):245S-248S.
32) Barr SI. Effects of increased consumption of fluid milk on energy and nutrient intake, body weight, and cardiovascular risk factors in healthy older adults. J Am Diet Assoc. 2000 Jul;100(7):810-7.
33) Baylin A. Adipose tissue biomarkers of fatty acid intake. Am J Clin Nutr. 2002 Oct;76(4):750-7.
34) National Medical Association: http://www.dairycheckoff.com/check/hl0403.asp#c
35) Bertron P. Racial bias in federal nutrition policy, Part I: The public health implications of variations in lactase persistence. J Natl Med Assoc. 1999 Mar;91(3):151-7.
36) Schecter A. Dioxins in U.S. food and estimated daily intake. Chemosphere. 1994 Nov-Dec;29(9-11):2261-5.
37) Maurer M. Neutralization of Western diet inhibits bone resorption independently of K intake and reduces cortisol secretion in humans. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2003 Jan;284(1):F32-40.
38) Remer T. Influence of diet on acid-base balance. Semin Dial. 2000 Jul-Aug;13(4):221-6.
39) Frassetto L. Diet, evolution and aging--the pathophysiologic effects of the post-agricultural inversion of the potassium-to-sodium and base-to-chloride ratios in the human diet. Eur J Nutr. 2001 Oct;40(5):200-13.
40) Remer T. Potential renal acid load of foods and its influence on urine pH. J Am Diet Assoc. 1995 Jul;95(7):791-7.
41) Abelow B. Cross-cultural association between dietary animal protein and hip fracture: a hypothesis. Calcific Tissue Int 50:14-8, 1992.
42) Frassetto LA . Worldwide incidence of hip fracture in elderly women: relation to consumption of animal and vegetable foods. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2000 Oct;55(10):M585-92.
43) McDougall J. The Great Debate. High vs. low protein. www.drmcdougall.com
44) Recker RR. The effect of milk supplements on calcium metabolism, bone metabolism and calcium balance. Am J Clin Nutr. 1985 Feb;41(2):254-63.
45) Munger RG. Prospective study of dietary protein intake and risk of hip fracture in postmenopausal women. Am J Clin Nutr. 1999 Jan;69(1):147-52.
46) Massey LK. Dietary animal and plant protein and human bone health: a whole foods approach. J Nutr. 2003 Mar;133(3):862S-865S.
47) Teegarden D. Dietary calcium, protein, and phosphorus are related to bone mineral density and content in young women. Am J Clin Nutr. 1998 Sep;68(3):749-54.
48) Kerstetter JE. Low protein intake: the impact on calcium and bone homeostasis in humans. J Nutr. 2003 Mar;133(3):855S-861S.
49) New SA. Calcium, protein, and fruit and vegetables as dietary determinants of bone health. Am J Clin Nutr. 2003 May;77(5):1340-1.
50) Kanis JA. The use of calcium in the management of osteoporosis. Bone. 1999 Apr;24(4):279-90.
51) Weinsier R. Dairy foods and bone health: examination of the evidence. Am J Clin Nutr. 2000 Sep;72(3):681-9.
52) Hegsted DM. Fractures, calcium, and the modern diet. Am J Clin Nutr. 2001 Nov;74(5):571-3.
53) Mepham TB. Safety of milk from cows treated with bovine somatotropin. Lancet. 1994 Jul 16;344(8916):197-8.
54) Juskevich JC. Bovine growth hormone: human food safety evaluation. Science. 1990 Aug 24;249(4971):875-84.
55) Holmes MD. Dietary correlates of plasma insulin-like growth factor I and insulin-like growth factor binding protein 3 concentrations. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2002 Sep;11(9):852-61.
56) Cadogan J. Milk intake and bone mineral acquisition in adolescent girls: randomised, controlled intervention trial. BMJ 1997;315:1255-1260.
57) Heaney R. Dietary changes favorably affect bone remodeling in older adults. J Am Diet Assoc 99:1228-33, 1999.
58) Yu H. Role of the insulin-like growth factor family in cancer development and progression. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2000 Sep 20;92(18):1472-89.
59) Cramer DW, Harlow BL, Willet WC. Galactose consumption and metabolism in relation to the risk of ovarian cancer. Lancet 1989;2:66-71.
60) Mettlin CJ, Piver MS: A case-control study of milk-drinking and ovarian cancer risk. American Journal of Epidemiology 132(5): 871-876, 1990.
61) Giovannucci E. Calcium and fructose intake in relation to risk of prostate cancer. Cancer Res. 1998 Feb 1;58(3):442-7.
62) Chan J. Dairy products, calcium, and prostate cancer risk in the Physicians' Health Study. Am J Clin Nutr. 2001 Oct;74(4):549-54.
63) Janowski T. Mammary secretion of oestrogens in the cow. Domest Anim Endocrinol. 2002 Jul;23(1-2):125-37.
64) J Pennington. Bowes & Church’s Food Values of Portions Commonly Used. 17th Ed. Lippincott. Philadelphia- New York. 1998.
65) Weisburger J. Eat to live, not live to eat. Nutrition 2000; 16:767-73.
Return to Marketing Milk and Disease
Fair Use Notice: This document may contain copyrighted material whose use has not been specifically authorized by the copyright owners. We believe that this not-for-profit, educational use on the Web constitutes a fair use of the copyrighted material (as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law). If you wish to use this copyrighted material for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
| Home Page | Health Index |
Your Comments Are
| Home Page | Animal Issues | Archive | Art and Photos | Articles | Bible | Books | Church and Religion | Discussions | Health | Humor | Letters | Links | Nature Studies | Poetry and Stories | Quotations | Recipes | What's New? |
Thank you for visiting all-creatures.org.