These vegan health articles are presented to assist you in taking a pro-active part in your own health.
1) Braunwald E. Shattuck Lecture: Cardiovascular medicine at the turn of the millennium: triumphs, concerns and opportunities. N Engl J Med 1997;337:1360-69.
2) Enos WF, Holmes RH, Beyer J. Coronary disease among United States soldiers killed in action in Korea. JAMA 1953;152:1090-1093.
3) McNamara JJ, Molot MA, Stremple JF, Cutting RT. Coronary artery disease in combat casualties in Vietnam. JAMA 1971;216:1185-1187.
4) Berenson G, Srinivasan S, Bau W, Newman WP, Tracy RE, Wattingney WA. Association between multiple cardiovascular risk factors and atherosclerosis in children and young adults. N Engl J Med 1998;338:1650-1656.
5) Strong JP, Malcolm GT, McMahan C, Tracy R, Newman W, Hederick E, Cornhill J. Prevalence and extent of atherosclerosis in adolescents and young adults. JAMA 1999;281:727-735.
6) Ziada KM, Kapadia SR, Tuzcu EM, Nissen SE. The current status of intravascular ultrasound imaging. Curr Probl Cardiol 1999 Sept;24 (9):541-66.
7) Roberts WC. Coronary atherosclerosis: Is the process focal or diffuse among patients with symptomatic or fatal myocardial ischemia. Am J Card 1998; 82(10B):41T-44T.
8) Connor WE, Cerqueira MT, Connor RW, et al. The plasma lipids, lipoproteins, and diet of the Tarahumara Indians of Mexico. Am J Clin Nutr 1978;31:1131-42.
9) Sinnett PF, Whyte HM. Epidemiological studies in a total highland population, Tukisenta, New Guinea. Cardiovascular disease and relevant clinical, electrocardiographic, radiological and biochemical findings. J Chron Diseases 1973; 26:265.
10) Campbell TC, Parpia B, Chen J. Diet, lifestyle, and the etiology of coronary artery disease: The Cornell China Study. Am J Card 1998;82(10B):18T-21T.
11) Miller K. Lipid values in Kalahari Bushman. Arch Intern Med 1968; 121:414.
12) Breslow JL. Cardiovascular disease myths and facts. Cleve Clin J Med 1998; 65(6):286-287.
13) The Bypass Angioplasty Revascularization Investigation (BARI) Investigators. Comparison of coronary bypass surgery with angioplasty in patients with multivessel disease. N Engl J Med 1996;335:217-225.
14) Ambrose JA, Fuster V. Can we predict future coronary events in patients with stable coronary artery disease? JAMA 1997;277:343-344.
15) Forrester JS, Shah PK. Lipid lowering versus revascularization - an idea whose time for testing has come. Circulation 1997;96:1360-1362.
16) Ornish D, Scherwitz LW, Billings JH, Gould KL, Merritt TA, Sparler S, Armstrong WT, Ports TA, Kirkeeide RL, Hogeboom C, Brand RJ. Intensive lifestyle changes for reversal of coronary heart disease. JAMA 1998;280:2001-2007.
17) National Research Council (US) Committee on Diet & Health. Diet and health: implications for reducing chronic disease risk/Committee on Diet and Health, Food and Nutrition Board, Commission on Life Sciences; National Research Council. Washington, DC: National Academy Press, 1989.
18) Castelli W. Take this letter to your doctor. Prevention 1996;48:61-64.
19) Sacks FM, Pfeffer MA, Moye LA, Rouleau JL, Rutherford JD, Cole TG, Brown L, Warnica JW, Arnold JMO, Wun C, Davis BR, Braunwald E. The effect of pravastatin on coronary events after MI in patients with average cholesterol levels. N Engl J Med 1996;335:1001-1009.
20) The American Cancer Society 1996 Advisory Committee on Diet, Nutrition, and Cancer Prevention. Guidelines on diet, nutrition, and cancer prevention: reducing the risk of cancer with healthy food choices and physical activity. CA Cancer J Clin 1996;46:325-341.
21) WHO study group in diet, nutrition, and prevention of non-communicable diseases. Diet, nutrition and the prevention of chronic diseases: report of a WHO study group. WHO Technical Report Series 1990:797.
22) Elias M. Doctors get guidelines for healthy heart. USA Today 1987 June 9;Final Edition-News:01A.
23) de Lorgeril M, Salen P, Martin JL, Monjaud I, Deloye J, Mamelle N. Mediterranean diet, traditional risk factors, and the rate of cardiovascular complications after myocardial infarction. Circulation 1999;99:779-785.
24) Blankenhorn DH, Johnson RL, Mack WJ, El Zein HA, Vailas LI. The influence of diet on the appearance of new lesions in human coronary arteries. JAMA 1990;263(12):1646-1652.
25) Rudel LL, Parks JS, Sawyer JK. Compared with dietary monounsaturated and saturated fat, polyunsaturated fat protects African Green Monkeys from coronary artery atherosclerosis. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 1995;15:2101- 2110.
26) Rudel LL, Kelley K, Sawyer JK, Shah R, Wilson MD. Dietary monounsaturated fatty acids promote aortic atherosclerosis in LDL receptor-Null, human ApoB100-overexpressing transgenic mice. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 1998;18(11): 1818-1827.
27) Rosamond WD, Chambless LE, Folsom AR, Cooper LS, Conwill DE, Clegg L, Wang,CH, Heiss, G. Trends in the incidence of myocardial infarction and in mortality due to coronary heart disease, 1987 to 1994. N Eng J Med 1998; 339(13):861-867.
28) Esselstyn CB Jr, Ellis SG, Medendorp SV, Crowe TD. A strategy to arrest and reverse coronary artery disease: a 5-year longitudinal study of a single physician's practice. J Fam Prac 1995;41:560-568.
29) Esselstyn CB Jr. Updating a 12-year experience with arrest and reversal therapy for coronary heart disease (An overdue requiem for palliative cardiology). Am J Card 1999;84:339-341.
30) Esselstyn CB Jr. Foreword: Changing the treatment paradigm for coronary artery disease. Am J Card 1998;82(10B):2T-4T.
31) Kant AK, Schatzkin A, Graubard BI, Schairer C. A prospective study of diet quality and mortality in women. JAMA 2000;283(16):2109-2115.
32) Appel LJ, Moore TJ, Orbarzanek E, Vollmer WM, Svetkey LP, Sacks FM, Bray GA, Vogt TM, Cutler JA, Windhauser MM, Lin PH, Karanja N. A clinical trial of the effects of dietary patterns on blood pressure. N Engl J Med 1997;336:1117- 1124.
33) Grady D. Low-salt and high-produce diet is found to tame hypertension. The New York Times 2000 May 18;National:A19.
34) Radetsky P. The Live Longer Diet. Why doesn't the government want you to eat it? Longevity Magazine 1994 May:40.
35) Stamler J, Daviglus ML, Garside DB, Dyer AR, Greenland P, Neaton JD. Relationship of baseline serum cholesterol levels in 3 large cohorts of younger men to long-term coronary, cardiovascular, and all-cause mortality and to longevity. JAMA 2000 July 19;284(3):311-318.
36. Personal communication 12/21/2000 with Dr. Neal Barnard, Chairman of the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine.
37. Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults ( Adult Treatment Panel 111) Executive Summary of the Third Report of The National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, And Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (Adult Treatment Panel 111). JAMA. 2001; 285; 2486-2497.
Fig. 1. Coronary angiograms of distal left anterior descending artery before (left) and showing profound improvement (right) following 32 months of a plant-based diet without cholesterol-lowering medication.
Fig. 2. Coronary angiograms of proximal left anterior descending before (left) and showing 10% improvement (right) following approximately 60 months of a plant-based diet with cholesterol-lowering medication.
Fig. 3. Coronary angiograms of circumflex artery before (left) and showing 20% improvement (right) following approximately 60 months of a plant-based diet with cholesterol-lowering medication.
Fig. 4. Coronary angiograms of right coronary artery before (left) and showing 30% improvement (right) following approximately 60 months of a plant-based diet and cholesterol-lowering medication.
We began this archive as a means of assisting our visitors in answering many of their health and diet questions, and in encouraging them to take a pro-active part in their own health. We believe the articles and information contained herein are true, but are not presenting them as advice. We, personally, have found that a whole food vegan diet has helped our own health, and simply wish to share with others the things we have found. Each of us must make our own decisions, for it's our own body. If you have a health problem, see your own physician.