Type-2 Diabetes – The Expected Adaptation to Over-Nutrition
An Articles Archive
Diet - Diseases - Enzymes - Exercise - Health - Herbs - Longevity - Medicine - Minerals - Natural Health - Nutrition - Stress - Vegan - Vegetarian - Vitamins
We began this archive as a means of assisting our visitors in answering many of their health and diet questions, and in encouraging them to take a pro-active part in their own health. We believe the articles and information contained herein are true, but are not presenting them as advice. We, personally, have found that a whole food vegan diet has helped our own health, and simply wish to share with others the things we have found. Each of us must make our own decisions, for it's our own body. If you have a health problem, see your own physician.
Type-2 Diabetes – The Expected Adaptation to Over-Nutrition
John McDougall, M.D.
1) Narayan KM. Lifetime risk for diabetes mellitus in the United States. JAMA 2003; 290: 1884-90.
2) Ludwig DS, Ebbeling CB. Type 2 diabetes mellitus in children: primary care and public health considerations. JAMA. 2001 Sep 26;286(12):1427-30.
3) Joslin EP. Atheroscleriosis and diabetes. Ann Clin Med 1927;5:1061.
4) Hinsworth HP. Diet in the aetiology of diabetes. Proc R Soc Med 1949;42:323-6
5) West KM, Kalbfleisch JM,. Influence of nutritional factors on prevalence of diabetes. Diabetes 1971; 20: 99-108.
6) Rao RH. The role of undernutrition in the pathogenesis of diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Care 1984; 7: 595-601.
7) Lee ET, Welty TK, Cowan LD, Wang W, Rhoades DA, Devereux R, Go O, Fabsitz R, Howard BV. Incidence of diabetes in American Indians of three geographic areas: the Strong Heart Study. Diabetes Care. 2002 Jan;25(1):49-54.
8) McMurry MP . Changes in lipid and lipoprotein levels and body weight in Tarahumara Indians after consumption of an affluent diet. N Engl J Med. 1991 Dec 12;325(24):1704-8.
9) Briceno I, Barriocanal LA, Papiha SS, Ashworth LA, Gomez A, Bernal JE, Alberti KG, Walker M. Lack of diabetes in rural Colombian Amerindians. Diabetes Care. 1996 Aug;19(8):900-1.
10) Foliaki S. Prevention and control of diabetes in Pacific people. BMJ. 2003 Aug 23;327(7412):437-9.
11) Ring I. The health status of indigenous peoples and others. BMJ. 2003 Aug 23;327(7412):404-5.
12) Ko G. Rapid increase in the prevalence of undiagnosed diabetes and impaired fasting glucose in asymptomatic Hong Kong Chinese. Diabetes Care. 1999 Oct;22(10):1751-2.
Mann JI. Diet and risk of coronary heart disease and type 2 diabetes. Lancet. 2002 Sep 7;360(9335):783-9.
13) Fujimoto WY. The importance of insulin resistance in the pathogenesis of type 2 diabetes mellitus. Am J Med. 2000 Apr 17;108 Suppl 6a:9S-14S.
14) Goldstein BJ. Insulin resistance as the core defect in type 2 diabetes mellitus. Am J Cardiol. 2002 Sep 5;90(5A):3G-10G.
15) UK Prospective Diabetes Study (UKPDS) Group. Intensive blood-glucose control with sulphonylureas or insulin compared with conventional treatment and risk of complications in patients with type 2 diabetes (UKPDS 33). Lancet. 1998;352:837-853.
16) DCCT Research Group. The effect of intensive treatment of diabetes on the development and progression of long-term complications in insulin dependent diabetes mellitus. N Engl J Med. 1993;329:977-986.
17) Ohkubo Y, Kishikawa H, Araki E, et al. Intensive insulin therapy prevents the progression of diabetic microvascular complications in Japanese patients with non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: a randomized prospective 6-year study. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 1995;28:103-117
18) Engler RL, Yellon DM. Sulfonylurea KATP blockade in type II diabetes and preconditioning in cardiovascular disease. Time for reconsideration. Circulation. 1996 Nov 1;94(9):2297-301.
19) Garratt KN, Brady PA, Hassinger NL, Grill DE, Terzic A, Holmes DR Jr. Sulfonylurea drugs increase early mortality in patients with diabetes mellitus after direct angioplasty for acute myocardial infarction. J Am Coll Cardiol. 1999 Jan;33(1):119-24.
20) Purnell JQ. Effect of excessive weight gain with intensive therapy of type 1 diabetes on lipid levels and blood pressure: results from the DCCT. Diabetes Control and Complications Trial. JAMA. 1998 Jul 8;280(2):140-6.
21) Colwell JA, Clark CM Jr. Forum Two: Unanswered research questions about metabolic control in non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. Ann Intern Med. 1996 Jan 1;124(1 Pt 2):178-9.
22) Gustafsson I, Hildebrandt P, Seibaek M, Melchior T, Torp-Pedersen C, Kober L, Kaiser-Nielsen P. Long-term prognosis of diabetic patients with myocardial infarction: relation to antidiabetic treatment regimen. The TRACE Study Group. Eur Heart J. 2000 Dec;21(23):1937-43.
23) McDougall J. McDougall’s Medicine – A Challenging Second Opinion. New Century Publication 1985.
24) Kiehm TG, Anderson JW, Ward K. Beneficial effects of a high carbohydrate, high fiber diet on hyperglycemic diabetic men. Am J Clin Nutr. 1976 Aug;29(8):895-9.
25) Jenkins DJ, Kendall CW, Marchie A, Jenkins AL, Augustin LS, Ludwig DS, Barnard ND, Anderson JW. Type 2 diabetes and the vegetarian diet. Am J Clin Nutr. 2003 Sep;78(3 Suppl):610S-616S.
26) Nicholson AS, Sklar M, Barnard ND, Gore S, Sullivan R, Browning S. Toward improved management of NIDDM: A randomized, controlled, pilot intervention using a lowfat, vegetarian diet. Prev Med. 1999 Aug;29(2):87-91.
27) Raal FJ, Kalk WJ, Lawson M, Esser JD, Buys R, Fourie L, Panz VR. Effect of moderate dietary protein restriction on the progression of overt diabetic nephropathy: a 6-mo prospective study. Am J Clin Nutr. 1994 Oct;60(4):579-85.
28) Cupisti A. Vegetarian diet alternated with conventional low-protein diet for patients with chronic renal failure. J Ren Nutr. 2002 Jan;12(1):32-7.
29) Van Eck W. The effect of a low fat diet on the serum lipids in diabetes and its significance in diabetic retinopathy. Am J Med. 1959; 27:196-211.
30) Kempner W. Effect of the rice diet on diabetes mellitus associated with vascular disease. Postgrad Med. 1958; 24:359-71.
31) Ornish D, Brown SE, Scherwitz LW, Billings JH, Armstrong WT, Ports TA, McLanahan SM, Kirkeeide RL, Brand RJ, Gould KL. Can lifestyle changes reverse coronary heart disease? The Lifestyle Heart Trial. Lancet. 1990 Jul 21;336(8708):129-33.
32) Segasothy M, Phillips PA. Vegetarian diet: panacea for modern lifestyle diseases? QJM. 1999 Sep;92(9):531-44.
33) Fraser G. Ten years of life. Is it a matter of chance? Arch Intern Med. 161:1645-52, 2001.
34) Key TJ, Davey GK, Appleby PN. Health benefits of a vegetarian diet. Proc Nutr Soc. 1999 May;58(2):271-5.
35) Sabate J. The contribution of vegetarian diets to health and disease: a paradigm shift? Am J Clin Nutr. 2003 Sep;78(3 Suppl):502S-507S.
36) Nicholas P. Hays; Raymond D. Starling; Xiaolan Liu; Dennis H. Sullivan; Todd A. Trappe; James D. Fluckey; William J. Evans. Effects of an Ad Libitum Low-Fat, High-Carbohydrate Diet on Body Weight, Body Composition, and Fat Distribution in Older Men and Women: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Arch Intern Med. 2004;164:210-217.
37) Jequier E, Bray GA. Low-fat diets are preferred. Am J Med. 2002 Dec 30;113 Suppl 9B:41S-46S.
38) Astrup A, Astrup A, Buemann B, Flint A, Raben A. Low-fat diets and energy balance: how does the evidence stand in 2002? Proc Nutr Soc. 2002 May;61(2):299-309.
39) Wing R. Successful weight loss maintenance. Annu Rev Nutr. 2001;21:323-41.
40) Pinkney J. Prevention and cure of type 2 diabetes. BMJ. 2002 Aug 3;325(7358):232-3.
Return to Type-2 Diabetes – The Expected Adaptation to Over-Nutrition
Fair Use Notice: This document may contain copyrighted material whose use has not been specifically authorized by the copyright owners. We believe that this not-for-profit, educational use on the Web constitutes a fair use of the copyrighted material (as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law). If you wish to use this copyrighted material for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
| Home Page | Health Index |
Your Comments Are
| Home Page | Animal Issues | Archive | Art and Photos | Articles | Bible | Books | Church and Religion | Discussions | Health | Humor | Letters | Links | Nature Studies | Poetry and Stories | Quotations | Recipes | What's New? |
Thank you for visiting all-creatures.org.