These vegan health articles are presented to assist you in taking a pro-active part in your own health.
By Kevin Nemec, M.D.
Oxygen is the single most important nutrient that enters our body. Up to 96% of our nutritional need comes from oxygen the other 4% comes from the food we eat. We can survive 30 days without food, 5-6 days without water, but only 2 minutes without oxygen. Oxygen is the spark that maintains the life of all the cells in your body. Oxygen causes a biochemical reaction in which adenosine diphosphate (ADP) is transformed into adenosine triphosphate (ATP).ATP is the energy that is required to run all the cellular functions of your entire body, and without it the cells will start to die, leading to organ malfunction, disease and eventual death. Symptoms of low oxygen content in the body include: low energy, fatigue, poor digestion and a lowered metabolism. A low oxygen environment in the body is ideal for producing cancer cells because cancer cells (unlike healthy cells) grow quite well without oxygen. According to Dr. Otto Warburg, Nobel prize winner for physiology and medicine, oxygen deprivation is a major cause of cancer and with a steady supply of oxygen to all the cells, cancer could be prevented indefinitely. Dr. Warburg also showed that when oxygen supply is decreased as little as 30%, cells filled with excess protein (from our high protein diets) can become malignant cancer cells.
If oxygen is this important how can we get the maximum amount into our bodies?
The most available sources are:
1) Exercise with a rapid respiratory rate (deep breathing) especially rebounding, which is walking, running, and jumping on a rebounder. This increases cardiovascular fitness 68% more efficiently than running without the same risk of injury. Rebounding also increases the lymphatic flow (which circulates the most white blood cells to boost the immune system) more than any other exercise. All the cells of your body are kept healthy by the diffusion of water, oxygen and nutrients into the cells and the diffusion of waste products out of the cells. Rebounding, because of its ability to exercise the body in a higher gravitational force (G force), also causes the diffusion rate of getting the good nutrients and oxygen into the cell and getting the bad toxins and waste products out of the cell to increase 300%. This makes rebounding the best total body exercise because it is the only exercise that strengths and exercises every cell in every organ, gland and tissue in the entire body. Rebounding can be done at all ages, and will help with all health problems. It is minimal stress to the joints if done on the proper rebounder and can be done 365 days per year in a three foot square space in your house.
2) Food The richest source of oxygen in food is found in green plants that are alive and still growing. Wheat grass, barley grass, sunflower sprouts, and buckwheat sprouts all have between 55-70% crude chlorophyll, which is the oxygen carrying molecule in plants. Chlorophyll is almost identical to the heme molecule in the red blood cell which carries oxygen to all the cells of man and the animals. The oxygen content starts to diminish after cutting, so it is best to eat and drink the juice of fresh live sprouts and grasses. The other advantages to eating and drinking live sprouts and their juices is that they contain the highest amounts of any food source of enzymes, bioelectricity, phytochemicals, vitamins and minerals. Next in oxygen content comes dark green vegetables like kale, collards, broccoli, dandelion, spinach, etc.
3) Air There are devices that increase the oxygen content of the air while simultaneously purifying the air. Along with these benefits, they also properly ionize the air for good health. These super oxygen generators work on the same principle that air is purified after a thunderstorm. Air smells cleaner and fresher after storms because lightning creates ozone (O3) which is oxygen with an extra molecule. When the ozone (O3) comes in contact with bacteria, viruses, mold, fungi or other odors or chemicals in the air, the extra oxygen atom breaks off and oxidizes the offender, causing it to either be killed, if it is living, or neutralized, if it is a synthetic chemical, fume or odor. After this reaction has occurred the ozone (O3) molecule is transformed to a pure oxygen (O2) molecule which we can breathe. The air is sanitized so well it is what is used in hospitals where clean air is vitally important. The second important function of this air purifying system is ionization. The ionizer releases negatively charged ions into the air and attach themselves to dust, pollen, dander, molds, bacteria, viruses and odors transforming their negative charge to them. This allows either neutralization of the particles in the air as they are drawn back into the unit or the negative charge causes them to fall to the floor where they can easily be vacuumed away. It is important to know that negative ions (which are put into the air with the air purifier) have the following beneficial effects:
inhibit cancer growth rate inhibit respiratory tract infections increases ease of breathing for hayfever and asthmatic sufferers lowers blood pressure
4) Oxygen Supplementation Oxygenated essential fatty acids in liquid form can increase the oxygen content in the body and can be protective against bacteria, viruses, fungi, parasites and cancer cells. This supplement also strengthens the immune system by helping the white blood cells destroy the above pathogens. It is important to understand that although oxygen sustains life, it also has the ability in the proper form to destroy life. These supplements take advantage of the powerful oxidative effects of the oxygen on bacteria, viruses, mold, parasites and cancer cells. This cellular oxidative metabolic pathway provides billions of activated molecules to attack and destroy all invaders for hours after ingestion, or absorption through the skin.
Unfortunately, not much can be done about the outside air we breathe. It is a tragedy to see how much garbage is pumped into our atmosphere. In Southern California alone, the following was pumped into the air in 1982:
1) arsenic 60 tons 2) benzene and hexachlorabenzene 20,000 tons 3) ethylene dibromide and methyl bromide - 3,770 tons 4) methyl chloroform 17,700 tons 5) methylene chloride 16,700 tons 6) perchloroethylene 21,000 tons
If this wasnt bad enough, our inside air isnt much better. The closed environments of our homes and offices expose us to many toxic chemicals, including cleaning supply fumes, subtle carbon monoxide fumes from natural gas combustion, and one of the most serious threats of all odorless, colorless radon gas.
Radon is a naturally-occurring radioactive gas that can seep from the ground into homes and offices. It enters through any opening in the ground, like foundation cracks, drains, sump pits, etc. According to the EPA, eight to ten million American homes have unhealthy basement radon levels greater than 4 pci/l (picocuries per liter of air). According to Richard Guimond, former director of the EPA Office of Radiation, [Radon] is the second most prevalent cause of lung cancer.
What can we do about the air we breathe?
1) Dont stay around fumes of any kind, whether exhaust or just funny odors.
2) Use proper ventilation to move any unwanted fumes out of the house or building.
3) Open all windows in your house at least 1⁄2 hour per day, year round, to let fresher air in and stale (and possibly toxic) air out.
4) Leave all bedroom windows cracked open at all times.
5) Invest in a home air purifier and move it from room to room.
6) Have your home tested by the gas company for odorless carbon monoxide.
7) Have your home tested for radon levels, especially in your basement.
8) If radon levels are above normal, have an environmental air specialist install a radon elimination system, along with sealing any cracks or openings through which radon can enter the basement.
Excerpt taken from the book Total Health = Wholeness: A Body, Mind and Spirit Manual by Dr. Keith and Laurie Nemec. For more information go to Total Health Institute http://www.totalhealthinstitute.com.
We began this archive as a means of assisting our visitors in answering many of their health and diet questions, and in encouraging them to take a pro-active part in their own health. We believe the articles and information contained herein are true, but are not presenting them as advice. We, personally, have found that a whole food vegan diet has helped our own health, and simply wish to share with others the things we have found. Each of us must make our own decisions, for it's our own body. If you have a health problem, see your own physician.