2 Thessalonians 2:1-17
Praise Him all creatures means every single living being shall be able to praise God in thought and deed, and not just human beings, for God’s creation and heavenly intent was that every single human and animal would be able to communicate directly with the Lord and reject the ungodly things of this world.
A lot of people may think that if they praise God with only their spoken word in church that it makes them a child of God, but to truly be a child of God each of us needs to have the Holy Spirit within us and listen to His still small voice within us guiding and directing us, and internalize it to such an extent that it becomes part of everything we do and say.
Psalm 145:1-21 is a psalm of David, and in it he writes about “praise Him all creatures”…
1. I will extol Thee, my God, O King;
And I will bless Thy name forever and ever.
Some people can fake their praise of God in word, but as we observe them over time, we can usually see if they are true children of God, but if they live in the corrupt ways of this world, then they could very likely be children of the devil in disguise.
2. Every day I will bless Thee,
And I will praise Thy name forever and ever.
The best way of doing this is by living in the heavenly will of God so that everything we say and do reflects the presence of the Lord within us; in our opinion, this is probably the best way of praising God, for then our whole life is a praise of God.
3. Great is the LORD, and highly to be praised;
And His greatness is unsearchable.
This is true, but all too often people forget this very important fact and fall into the corrupt ways of this world with all its violence, which in our opinion is really praising the devil.
4. One generation shall praise Thy works to another,
And shall declare Thy mighty acts.
Again, this is best done by our example of consistently living in the heavenly will of God, so that what we say will be believed.
5. On the glorious splendor of Thy majesty,
And on Thy wonderful works, I will meditate.
This is the way we should be living, but all too often we find that most people, including professing Christians focus upon the corrupt ways of this world with all its violence and death without truly seeing that it is not the way that the Lord wants us to live.
6. And men shall speak of the power of Thine awesome acts;
And I will tell of Thy greatness.
One of the problems in the world is that this is rarely done outside of the church.
7. They shall eagerly utter the memory of Thine abundant goodness,
And shall shout joyfully of Thy righteousness.
Again, there are relatively few people who do this outside of church.
8. The LORD is gracious and merciful;
Slow to anger and great in lovingkindness.
This is true, but when God gets angry watch out, for His judgements are about to fall upon us, and as we look around us, it appears to us that these judgements have already started.
9. The LORD is good to all,
And His mercies are over all His works.
We need to remember that part of His works were the creation of all the animals and us, and He even gave us the charge to protect and care for the whole of His creation, so when we see that God is good to all, it must include the animals; thus, our human exploitation of animals is actually working against the heavenly intent of the Lord.
10. All Thy works shall give thanks to Thee, O LORD,
And Thy godly ones shall bless Thee.
I truly believe that the only work of God that doesn’t truly give heart-felt thanks to the Lord are most human beings, but it should be praise Him all creatures, which should include all of us.
We cannot thank or praise God when we are contributing to the corruption of His creation.
If we are causing other living being to have pain or suffer or die, we are corrupting God’s creation, because we are charged with protecting it and caring for it.
So, as the psalmist says, it is only the godly ones who truly praise Him, for the godly ones are the only ones who live in His heavenly will.
11. They shall speak of the glory of Thy kingdom,
And talk of Thy power;
12. To make known to the sons of men Thy mighty acts,
And the glory of the majesty of Thy kingdom.
Yes, only the godly ones can truly express the wondrous works of the Lord in a consistently believable manner.
13. Thy kingdom is an everlasting kingdom,
And Thy dominion endures throughout all generations.
This is true; the kingdom of God is everlasting, but the world we live in doesn’t seem to be, because the more we pollute it, the more it seems to rebel against us, and the greatest polluter is the animal agriculture industry; thus, if we truly want the world to heal, we must return to the plant based diet that the Lord commanded us to eat way back in the Garden of Eden.
Only then will we begin to see a heart-felt response to praise Him all creatures.
14. The LORD sustains all who fall,
And raises up all who are bowed down.
When it comes to the animals and the victims of our warring madness, this is not happening here on earth as we believe it should.
15. The eyes of all look to Thee,
And Thou dost give them their food in due time.
There are also millions of people in the world who are starving to death every year, and there is enough plant food on the earth to abundantly feed every living being; but it doesn’t happen because our human society is corrupt, and thus ungodly.
16. Thou dost open Thy hand,
And dost satisfy the desire of every living thing.
This also isn’t happening because greedy humans are snatching up what the needy require.
17. The LORD is righteous in all His ways,
And kind in all His deeds.
Yes He is, but ungodly human beings are working against the Lord’s desires, and preventing much of this from happening.
18. The LORD is near to all who call upon Him,
To all who call upon Him in truth.
Seriously meditate upon what this verse is telling us; there are many who call upon the Lord, but it seems like only a small percentage call upon Him in truth.
This is also why we believe that so few humans truly respond to the call to praise Him all creatures.
19. He will fulfill the desire of those who fear Him;
He will also hear their cry and will save them.
Again, because of human greed and hardness of heart this is not happening to all living beings
20. The LORD keeps all who love Him;
But all the wicked, He will destroy.
This may be the desire of the psalmist, but David himself prevented the Lord from keeping all who love Him, particularly when it came to the animals.
21. My mouth will speak the praise of the LORD;
And all flesh will bless His holy name forever and ever.
We keep hoping that this will happen here on earth as it is in heaven, but it isn’t.
We need to repent and truly seek to live in the heavenly will of God here on earth as it is in heaven.
In 2 Thessalonians 2:1-17 Paul is addressing the coming of the Lord, but as we look at these verses, think about how it applies to “praise Him all creatures”…
1. Now we request you, brethren, with regard to the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and our gathering together to Him,
2. that you may not be quickly shaken from your composure or be disturbed either by a spirit or a message or a letter as if from us, to the effect that the day of the Lord has come.
And this applies even to this very day, and every so often someone thinks they know when the Lord is returning, and they lead people astray instead of helping the people to understand that we need to be ready for the Lord’s return by living in His heavenly will here on earth as it is in heaven.
And, if we are living this way, then we will be helping to free creation from its present corruption which has been limiting “praise Him all creatures” from coming true, for then we will hear the praise ringing throughout the universe.
3. Let no one in any way deceive you, for it will not come unless the apostasy comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction,
4. who opposes and exalts himself above every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, displaying himself as being God.
We have not seen this yet, but we have seen some pretenders to that throne throughout history, even up to this present time.
5. Do you not remember that while I was still with you, I was telling you these things?
And Jesus also told us this, and that only the Father knows the exact time of Jesus’ return.
6. And you know what restrains him now, so that in his time he may be revealed.
The “him” is the antichrist, the servant of the devil who deceived people into corrupting God’s creation and filled the earth with violence and death.
7. For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work; only he who now restrains will do so until he is taken out of the way.
The meaning of this is somewhat confusing, but “he who now restrains” seems to refer to the devil who prevents us from recognizing the true antichrist, but we who are living in the heavenly will of God should see the signs of the devil’s influence upon this world.
8. And then that lawless one will be revealed whom the Lord will slay with the breath of His mouth and bring to an end by the appearance of His coming;
9. that is, the one whose coming is in accord with the activity of Satan, with all power and signs and false wonders,
10. and with all the deception of wickedness for those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth so as to be saved.
We all need to remember that the Lord will bring true peace on earth, but in the meantime we are to be working on ending all the violence and corruption we can and helping to end the horrible exploitation and killing of animals, and as we do, we will see more and more response to praise Him all creatures.
But never forget that all around us evil still flourishes with all its pain, suffering, and death, and we must not be deceived by the wicked ones.
11. And for this reason God will send upon them a deluding influence so that they might believe what is false,
12. in order that they all may be judged who did not believe the truth, but took pleasure in wickedness.
We might think that we cannot be deceived, but just remember how Eve and
Adam were deceived.
13. But we should always give thanks to God for you, brethren beloved by the Lord, because God has chosen you from the beginning for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and faith in the truth.
These are the peacemaking children of God that we all should be.
14. And it was for this He called you through our gospel, that you may gain the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.
So, pay attention to the advice that Paul gives us next.
15. So then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught, whether by word of mouth or by letter from us.
The problem is that we may have been taught the wrong traditions from our parents and clergy, so we need to filter those traditions through the teaching of Jesus Christ and the creation and heavenly will of God.
If something is not based in love and peace, it cannot be from God, but from the deceiver, the devil.
16. Now may our Lord Jesus Christ Himself and God our Father, who has loved us and given us eternal comfort and good hope by grace,
17. comfort and strengthen your hearts in every good work and word.
Praise Him all creatures!
Return to: Sermons Archive